Click Here For Boxscore
Off-Season (click image for random Wikipedia page)

According to Bodog.com, the Rays are tied as the 9th favorite to win it all in 2012 at 18/1 (tied with the Cardinals, Phillies are tops at 5/1).

That is not bad considering the Rays have yet to do anything this off-season. But you could also make a case that it is far too low.

Even with a weak lineup, the 2012 Rays are a 90-win team. And while in previous years, success was contingent on the rotation staying healthy (they always do), that is really no longer that important. You can make a case that the Rays have eight big league starting pitchers in their organization.

And if the Rays are a 90-win team now, what are they if they add a bat or if a couple of in-house guys catch fire and have a career-year?

We’re not saying these guys should be the favorites. But let’s just say that if we were laying money, there is a lot of value at 18/1.

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• Andy Sonnanstine has signed with the Chicago Cubs. [ESPN Chicago]
  • Ken Rosenthal says the Rays are one of several teams showing interest in trading for the A’s Andrew Bailey. The A’s closer is a two-time All-Star, and will be 28 in 2012. [@Ken_Rosenthal]
  • Based on a recent St. Pete Times poll, Tampa residents prefer the Rays in St. Pete. But is it because they really want the Rays in St. Pete? Or (more likely) is it because non-sports fans don’t want to pay for a new stadium? [Shadow of the Stadium]
  • Will Raheem Morris be back in 2012?  [Joe Bucs Fan]
  • Evan Longoria recently got the TMZ treatment (video below)

Tags

1. Mike M says:

I agree. They are not the odds out favorite, but those odds are very tempting!

World Series, World Series... are you kidding me, Joe Maddon is still trying to figure out how to beat Texas in the First Round of the playoffs
    Can We play the Cubs... I want to be the first to hit off Sonnenstine...MY first ML hit...priceless

3. Brianknowsbest says:

oh Don.....

• LoLJFH says:

Oh come on, Don's hilarious! He knows exactly what to say - and when - to make everyone groan and roll their eyes. I think "Don" could be Aubrey Huff or Chuck Lamar!
      Seriously tho: Sonnanstine at Wrigley with wind blowing OUT??? Even IN? He couldn't keep it respectable in a dome with no conditions and now he is going to a "hitter's" park? He'll be in Iowa by May.
      Those odds are tempting but if BoSux don't collapse we don't get in and I think the only reason we are THAT high is our pitching and the results of last September. Remember, we didn't play all THAT great record wise, we just happened to win more than Boston when they couldn't win at ALL. Getting Bailey would be sweet to have Peralta, Farnsworth and Bailey to shorten the game to 7 innings. However, we still need some bats. Looking forward to next few weeks and how this pans out.

4. Joe says:

Friedman has all his trade chips, some upgrades unsigned (Scott, Pena etc) and his backup plans in bringing back Damon and Kotchman all left on the market. More importantly, my first note, he has all his trade chips. He needs to do something very unRay like and trade a bit more than he wants to for Rizzo/Trumbo and Andrew Bailey. He can resign Damon for DH, I really wouldn't mind.

I mean if Trumbo and Bailey join Longo and Hellickson with Moore in the rotation all season, it's becoming all the best rookies of the last few years on 1 team.

5. RedBull says:

In reference to us winning the whole thing, I like our chances with just an addition of one run producing bat.
    I'm glad we don't have to watch Sonnanstine pitch anymore for us, but wish him well. He did some good things for us in his time here.
    Andrew Bailey would be nice, but so would Carlos Marmol. I think both would take a 3-team deal though. Which I think would mean Upton goes away in a trade. Such as, Marmol to the Rays, Upton to the Marlins, and prospects go to Cubs...just thinking out loud, so take it for what it's worth.

• Joe says:

noooo, I'd love Bailey but I saw Marmol explode time after time last season. The dude has no clue where the pitch is going and teams like the Yanks and Sox are smart enough to just stand there while he walks in a run or 4.

Andrew Bailey, Joakim Soria maybe, Greg Holland, no Marmol or Cordero especially when it cost us Upton and we need a bat as it is.

6. CRRaysHead90 says:

Good for Evan ignoring them paparazzi idiots. They're like trolls, don't feed 'em. I've never understood why people care what celebrities are doing at any given moment. It's almost like "OMG! Tom Cruise took a crap. OMG OMG OMG I GOTTA TELL TINA!" -.-

7. Joe says:

Hey Cork, I noticed your tweets. You should make a thread about this where we all know it wont happen but we can at least pretend and get all excited at the incredibly small possibility of Prince as a Ray for 3 years.