Angels owner Arte Moreno used to be very vocal in his opposition to huge contracts. Then he gave Albert Pujols $254 million.
The difference? A new (very large) TV deal is on the horizon.
The Angels next TV deal could be worth $150 million per year. For comparison, one of the biggest reasons the Rays consistently have a low payroll is their TV deal which pays them in the neighborhood of $20 million per year.
All of a sudden, $25 million a year for Pujols doesn’t seem that crazy.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Tonight is the deadline to tender contracts. For arbitration-eligible players (more than 3 years, but less than 6 years experience), if a contract is tendered they will have their 2012 salary determined by an arbitration hearing. If not tendered, they will become free agents. Marc Topkin speculates that JP Howell and Andy Sonnanstine are two that could be non-tendered. [TampaBay.com]
- Would the Rays give Pudge Rodriguez a shot behind the plate? Jon Heyman thinks it is possible. [@Jon_Heyman]
- Last Friday was Joe Maddon’s annual Thanksmas dinner. Here is a pic of Maddon stirring a big pot of pasta sauce. [Hardball Talk]
- Todd Glaesmann, OF, the Rays third round pick in 2009 is playing winter ball in Australia and has been named to the ABL All-Star team (thanks Adam). [ABL]
- The shine has come off of Raheem Morris. [Joe Bucs Fan]