Baseball America has released their annual list of the top 10 prospects in the Rays’ organization. And while the top player is no surprise, there are a few names in places we did not expect…
- Matt Moore, LHP
- Hak-Ju Lee, SS
- Chris Archer, RHP
- Taylor Guerrieri, RHP
- Alex Colome, RHP
- Alex Torres, LHP
- Tim Beckham, SS
- Enny Romero, LHP
- Drew Vettleson, OF
- Mikie Mahtook, OF
A few notes on the list…
- With Jeremy Hellickson no longer eligible, Matt Moore jumps from #2 to #1.
- Also coming off the list due to no longer being eligible are Desmond Jennings (#3 last year), Jake McGee (#4),
- Josh Sale (#5 last year), Justin O’Connor (#8), and Jake Thompson (#10) all fell out of the top ten after a rough 2011 season.
- Six players are new to the list this year, including Hak-Ju Lee (#2) and Chris Archer (#3) after coming over to the Rays in the Matt Garza deal. Taylor Guerrieri and Mikie Mahtook also debut on the list and are the only 2011 draft picks on the list. Enny Romero is the other newcomer.
- Tim Beckham jumped back into the top ten after falling out last year.
- Biggest Surprises (#1): It is a bit surprising to see Chris Archer so high. He struggled with his control in 2011 at double-A, walking 80 in 134.1 innings. And his strikeouts per 9 innings fell to the lowest level of his career.
- Biggest Surprises (#2): We are not completely sold on Alex Torres. He reminds a little too much of Victor Zambrano. But at the same time, Torres would probably be in the big league rotation for 10-12 teams, so it is a bit of a surprise to see him behind Chris Archer, Taylor Guerrieri, and Alex Colome.