Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com is reporting that the Rays have signed Matt Moore to a long-term extension. The deal is said to be worth a guaranteed $14 million over five years.

However, in typical Rays fashion, the deal also includes three option years that would bring the value of the deal up to $37.5 million. There are also bonuses built in to the deal that would make it worth $40 million.

Marc Topkin of TampaBay.com is reporting that the exact value, including options is $39.75 million.

This deal is almost identical to the contract Evan Longoria signed shortly after his big league debut. Longoria’s contract was guaranteed for six years, and including options is worth $44.5 million over nine years.

1. Sarah says:

This makes my day.

Much like the Longoria deal, pundits will be laughing at Moore if he’s locked into this after his 3rd Cy Young. But let’s remember the guy has pitched about 12 major league innings at this point, and could turn into Scott Kazmir.

Good move all around, I think — means Moore starts the year in the Bigs.

• Cork Gaines says:

There is always that risk. But I think there is less risk with Moore. For one, there were character issues with Kazmir that were well-known when he was in Mets organization. Some people thought those were blown out of proportion, but some were concerned.

Also, Moore’s delivery is flawless. All pitchers have some risk for injury (throwing overhand is an unnatural movement). But Moore is probably at less risk than most pitchers. Just watch Kazmir throwing and you can see how much stress he puts on his arm each time. You don’t see that with Moore. He looks like he is playing catch. He is a scout’s wet-dream.

• Robert says:

I think we should be thrilled if we get Kaz production out of 14 mil. I remember only going to games he was pitching in the god awful 04-07 years.

2. Gus says:

Love it. And it 2014-15, this will likely be a much more important signing in the AL pennant racethan the ones the Angels made yesterday. I’m no fan of Sternberg’s tight wallet, but credit where credit is due. Congrats.

Now about Rafael Furcal . . .

3. Gus says:

Cork: This means no service time garbage in the spring, right? So the only limitation on Moore’s 2012 role on the Rays will be his actual perfrormance and innings limitations, correct? Using whatever metric the Rays use (120% increase year to year?), what does that mean in terms of Moore’s innings and starts next year?

• Cork Gaines says:

Bingo. And he pitched over 160 innings this year. If 20% bump is the limit, he’ll be fine to go 190+. They may not let him get that high just to be cautious since there is more stress pitching in the big leagues. But really, he shouldn’t have too many limitations

• Gus says:

Amazing to say, but this team, with just a $50M payroll, has a very good shot to got to the World Series. That set of starters (I’m assuming they trade just one) could be the best set of 5 starters (6 starters) that many of us have ever seen. Couldn’t be more excited that Moore gets a chance to compete in the bigs for most, if not all, of the season. Kid deserves it.

4. Joe says:

God, this is awesome.

He just guaranteed a spot on the opening day roster. Gotta think this also means that Friedman is about to trade 1 of his starters. I hope its Jeff or Wade.

I really want my big 4 of Shields – Price – Hellickson – Moore and now it’s so close, don’t make me lose that dream!

• MJ says:

I agree, that top 4 will give opposing batters and managers nightmares. If the Rays get both grandal and alonso for shields, I might be ok w/ it (but still think wed be getting the short end). But id much rather see them secure alonso and keep shields. Yonder over grandal for sure, even if the Rays could use a C.

• Brad says:

reading this site is comical. in 2010 Cork titled his articles “no game james” or “lame game james” now look at the turnaround, grasping to his belt loops. this is great for moore, but i sure hope he doesnt hit a speed bump and you all start hitting the panic button. “i hope its jeff or wade”..wade davis and shields are probably the ballsiest pitchers you people have & thats who you hate on most. other starters on this team have a little problem with pressure situations. both shields and davis both pitched through serious injuries to health where most pitchers would pussy out and rehab instead. this all while playing in the hardest division of baseball in the world…….
        ill take a bulldog like that any day.

send those 2 boys up north, we’ll take em and our fans arent HATERS

• Cork Gaines says:

1) “no game James” was in reference to Shields struggles heading into the 2010 playoffs and whether or not he should be in the postseason rotation. A legtimimate concern at the time. But it meant nothing more or less than that.

2) as far as I know, we have never used “lame game James.” I just did a search to make sure, and it comes up empty, so I am not sure what you are referring to.

3) is there a point? what exactly does Shields have to do with any of this?

• Brad says:

“no game james” was your reference for him that entire year, not heading into the playoffs. Perhaps you should search again and see all the terrible things you said about the man during his struggles. Maybe you never titled lame game james but ive seen it..heres a direct quote from your site though “Any Game James? Does anybody have any faith that the Rays can win a game with Shields on the mound?…” Now he’s invaluable to you people, and you post a poll on who to get rid of?
            Leave it to the professionals if you are a bandwagon blog writer. THAT is my point.

You are a bandwagon hater, thinking you are on top of the world with the greatest pitching staff in the country so lets kick one to the curb as soon as possible. Same with Davis, kids a bulldog, never runs his mouth & has been regarded as one of the hardest workers in that clubhouse- but all you have is crap to talk. Same with BJ, and same with Shop. Its about flavor of the month with this site.

I am not a Rays fan per say, but I am a fan of baseball. So to watch some of these guys on this staff, it is COMICAL to come to a site dedicated to talking shit on your own players.

Trade em all to a place theyre appreciated is what Im saying. A place where we show up for games and ride the waves with our players, not shut them out when they hit a bump or have a bad month.

• Cork Gaines says:

Oh Bradley. Why so angry sourpuss? I mean c’mon. I don’t mind if you come on here and rant. These are always good for a chuckle. But don’t come on here and just make shit up. It’s not cool, and it’s not going to get you invited to Thanksgiving dinner.

• Chris says:

Brad is just some lame ass Red Sox fan that can’t get over September.

Yo, Brad. In case you hadn’t noticed, this team has EIGHT starting pitchers that would be in the big leagues for 20 other teams. Nobody is trashing Shields you moron. We’re just saying we got some excess.

Go troll someplace else.

5. MJ says:

This is wonderful. Makes planning for the future much easier now.

6. angrybuddha says:

Hard not to chime in, even though there’s nothing new to say. This is great, great news. I was afraid Moore would go the Price way, and be on the verge of leaving for a huge contract before we even knew what was happening.

Now we have 55 and 3 locked in for a while.

Sweet.

7. NashVegas Ryan says:

Cork, he is probably one of those converted mid 2000′s Red Sox fans. Once they started winning. Just nervous about the Rays staff for the next several years. Love the Moore signing. The cards are in the Rays hand, Friedman and the boys will do what is right. Go Rays!

8. Brad says:

You asked me to clarify my point, which I did. What, as soon as you get your own shit laid out in front of you, you nonchalantly start clowning? Cmon man. And no i am not a red sox fan, Im an analyst. Like i said, a fan of baseball.

• Andy says:

If you’re just an ‘analyst’, Brad, & not a fan of any specific team, then why say, “send those 2 boys up north, we’ll take em and our fans arent (sic)HATERS”? By that sentence, you’re obviously a fan of 1 of our 2 AL East rivals, the only ones that’d be called ‘haters’. So, what we got is the pot calling the kettle black, b/c you’re just as guilty of speaking out of both sides of your mouth, Brad, as you claim Cork is.

Anyway, back to the real issue at hand, the LT signing of Moore is ‘Awesome, Baby’, as Dicky V would say!!! Kudos to the Rays’ brass!!!

• Cork Gaines says:

*yawn* I started “clowning” because you lost all credibility when it turned out you were just making shit up. And then I got bored. If you want to have a serious conversation about something that is actually relevant, that’s cool. But if you are just coming here because you are angry about something I wrote a long time ago, and now you want to play some sort of “I told you so” game, I’m not interested.

• Chris says:

what a tool. that’s your beef? something said over a year ago and it was about something that has nothing to do with Matt Moore? Damn. Let it go. If you are going to be this uptight, that shit is going to give you the runs.

9. Adam says:

Hi Cork, just out of interest in case you haven’t seen it Todd Glaesmann (round 3 2009) has been selected to play for the World team against Australia in the Australian Baseball League Allstar game to be played December 21.

10. steve says:

The more I think about it I think the Rays should trade Price. He would probably bring back the most talent and he is going to be getting very un Rays like in his salary very soon. Plus I think Moore is pretty close to being every bit the pitcher he is, I think Moore is just that special. And that guy Brad is a freaking douche. Any team that had holes to fill would use a position of depth to fill those holes if they were smart instead of throwing hundreds of millions of dollars around. Rays fans aren’t saying that they don’t like any of these pitchers it is just pretty obvious that the Rays would be better off trading one of them for a bat or two.