John Fay of the Cincinnati Inquirer is reporting that the Rays and Reds are still discussing a potential deal, calling the deal “ongoing”…

The Reds have had ongoing talks with the Tampa Bay Rays. The Reds are likely targeting right-hander James Shields, who went 16-12 with a 2.82 ERA last year. Yonder Alonso and Yasmani Grandal, the Reds’ two top trading chips, are fits for the Rays…The Rays also may be willing to move Wade Davis (11-10, 4.45) or Jeff Niemann (11-7, 4.06).

Earlier this week, Joe Maddon confirmed that Yonder Alonso’s name has been part of the discussion.

That the two teams are still talking is a good sign that a deal could be close. Like we have always said, the Rays don’t usually budge too far from what they feel is a fair deal. If a team thinks the price is too high, then the Rays move on.

But if this deal does get done, we can’t imagine the Reds accepting Wade Davis or Jeff Niemann for the prospects being mentioned.

1. Joe says:

I don't wanna trade Shields!

We now know Moore WILL be in that rotation to start 2012. We gotta let Grandal go I think and try Davis or Neimann for Yonder.

I need my big 4 of Shields - Price - Hellickson - Moore

2. Alex says:

I'd rather them trade Price and pieces for Alonso and Grandal

3. phil says:

Hate to disagree with Joe...but they need a young stud catcher and a first baseman. 2 positions that the rays have no talent in the minors! This will solidify two positions and still have enough pitching to compete:
    Rotation: Price; Hellickson; Moore; Niemann and Davis ..with Cobb ready in AAA

Great signing by the Rays to lock up Moore.....

4. phil says:

hope they add a 3rd piece like todd frasier ......

5. steve says:

This deal will probably get done. The only reason it hasn't yet is AF trying his damnest to bend the Reds over like he did the Cubs on the Garza trade. He should stay firm at Davis/Niemann + and see if the Reds budge first. But most likely the Rays will have to give up Shields to get these guys. They most certainly will be selling high but my hold up is they are buying kind of high as well.

6. Edward says:

If Shields gets traded for the two guys from the reds, bad move. They need more

7. Scott says:

This would be a tremendous deal for the Rays and the Reds. I love it when both teams win in a trade! The Rays solidfy two important positions for the next six years with unbelievable talent. Also, the Rays rotation next season (Price, Hellickson, Niemann, Davis, and Moore) will perform just as good, if not better, than this years. And the Reds get a great #1 starter that will actually be their #2 starter and though they trade two awesome talents those two were both being blocked by even better players. I hope this deal gets done and gets done soon!! Then how about we sign Kendrys Morales to DH? Offensive woes? What offensive woes?

• LoLJFH says:

Scott - we still have Shelton. 'Nuff said.
      (I know, I know, at some point offense has to click and he doesn't get the actual AB's, but his body of work here speaks for itself the past few years. I am NOT a fan of his.)

• Scott says:

No matter what Shelton does (I am a fan of his) he's never gonna get Casey Kotchman (assuming he re-signed and was the 2012 first baseman instead of Yonder Alonso) to hit 30 homeruns and he's never gonna get Jose Lobaton to hit between 20-30 homeruns with a .300 average like Yasmani Grandal.

So all I'm saying is that as a hitting coach you are only as good as the talent you're working with and if he gets his hands on better talent than can you imagine the results?

• Don says:

Right, Sheldon, has done a "wonderful job" with BJ Upton, probably the best raw talent in the majors never helped (improved).....
          If BJ gets traded to a team with a real hitting coach you watch the difference...at least .275-280..."imagine that"....

• Scott says:

I'm not saying Derek Shelton is the greatest hitting coach ever but he isn't the worst either. BJ Upton not hitting .280 has nothing to do with Shelton and everything to do with BJ himself. I've never seen any player, at any level, strike out looking more than he does. And I wasn't saying "imagine the results" because I thought he could turn Yonder and Yasmani into 50 homerun hitters but he can just help them each tweak little things in their games and help make good players great. That's all any hitting coach is asked to do. And like I said before a hitting coach is only as good as the players put in front of him. So don't blame Shelton for not turning BJ into an All-Star or Reid Brignac into a major league hitter (outside of Camden Yards).

• LoLJFH says:

He has talent to work with (Joyce, Upton, Pena, Zobrist, even Rodriguez - I believe Crawford and Longoria look(ed) the other way). He has some duds (Shop, Brignac, Upton - yes I used him twice on purpose). I don't expect 30-30 guys from Shelton or anyone else. BUT, most of the guys regressed last year AND some 2 years in a row. Look at their presence at the plate, the approach, what they look at, what they swing at. The approach is to take pitches - then they HAVE to swing but this is also a Maddon and FO objective. I can't tell you how many times last season Maddon said the approach was not appropriate or aggressive. Plus our situational hitting and with RISP is terrible 2 years in a row. That spells hitting coach regardless of who is at bat. PS - Kotch was nice but we can do SO much better. He had a good year, a terrible final third. Check his stats each year: great until mid-August then goes sub .220 rest of the way. No batting coach can correct that.

• Raysfan137 says:

The Shelton debate again. I agree with both sides too. He cannot super stars out of poor hitting talent. But he is making poor hitters out of fair to good talent. I'm not crazy about trading run prevention for offense unless tht offense has experience at major league level and can overcome the Shelton drag. We don't need prospects attending the Derek Shelton School of hitting: Where We Make it as Simple as 1-2-3.

8. LoLJFH says:

I read this on MLBTradeRumors.com: (if Shields doesn't go to Reds, or Rangers nab Fielder, I would think this is a "backup" plan to consider late offseason)

•An NL executive heard that the Rangers have interest in signing Prince Fielder and trading Mitch Moreland to the Rays for Wade Davis. A person with knowledge of Texas' plans say neither scenario is close to being done, however.