The Rays have announced that Neil Solondz, a broadcaster for the Durham Bulls, will be the new pre- and post-game radio voice for the Rays. Solondz is replacing Rich Herrera, who was a polarizing voice that most people seemed to either love or hate.
We haven’t heard too much of Solondz’ work. But based on the reactions we are hearing from Bulls fans, it sounds like a good move for the Rays.
This quote from one Bulls fan seems to sum up the reaction from Durham (via @RTPGiants)…
Nooooooooo….great for Neil; potentially terrible for Bulls fans. Neil is 5000% better than other MILB announcer
You can see a video below of Solondz interviewing Rays prospect Chris Archer.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Ken Rosenthal: James Shields “appears out of reach” for the Reds “and every other club.” Rosenthal also notes that the Reds “ideally want better” than Wade Davis. [@Ken_Rosenthal]
- Matt Moore was recently on “Happy Hour with JP Peterson” to discuss his new contract. Our favorite quote: “I’d love for this to be a bad deal for me.” [TampaBaySportsCentral]
- Andrew Friedman says Johnny Damon and Casey Kotchman are both “very much in the discussion” for 2012…This is just a hunch, but Damon and Kotchman may both be fall-back plans for the Rays. That is, they are going to see how the off-season market unfolds. And if all else fails, they know that both players can probably be had cheap. [TBO.com]
- Ken Rosenthal notes that the package the A’s received for Trevor Cahill could be an indication of what the Rays might get if Wade Davis is traded. [MLB Buzz]
- Sarah Tyson has a few things on her Rays wishlist. [Cowbell Clankers]
- BurGi takes a look at how some of the Rays top prospects are trending in their development. [Rays Prospects]