Ramos missed a good chunk of the 2011 season with a throat infection and bronchitis. And even though Ramos is once again healthy, the Rays did not renew his contract. Instead, Stan Boroski who served as the bullpen coach during Ramos’ absence, will be the new bullpen coach.
Joe Maddon, who has one year remaining on his contract, has yet to sign a new deal.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- New Rays catcher Jose Molina made an appearance on a local radio show. Cowbell Clankers has the audio. [Cowbell Clankers]
- Ken Rosenthal repeats many of things we have been saying about Andrew Friedman and the Astros. If they want him, it will take a huge contract, an ownership stake in the team, and a position more important than just GM. Rosenthal also outlines a few reasons Friedman may want to leave. [Fox Sports]
- Jayson Stark reports that one executive that spoke with Andrew Friedman said there is no more than a 10 percent chance that Friedman will be convinced to take the Astros GM job. Of course, they also have an opening for team President. We’d have to think the chances are a little better if that one is offered. [@jaysonst]
- Desmond Jennings and Jeremy Hellickson have been named to the Topps All-Rookie team. [TampaBay.com]
- The Rays are one of 13 teams eligible for the first competitive balance draft pick lottery, in which six teams will be awarded an extra draft pick before the second round. [MLBTR]
- The state of Florida has two of the highest-paid college football coaches, which is kind of amazing considering their lack of experience. [BI Sports]
- Changes to the coaching staff could be coming for the Bucs. [JoeBucsFan]