Back in July, after the US Women’s Soccer team was eliminated from the World Cup, Evan Longoria sent a message to one of the stars of that team via Twitter. And he didn’t stop there, later sending Morgan a message about her ESPN commercial.

Many suspected that Longoria was hitting on the young, and very attractive soccer star.

Now, Longoria wants to set the record straight. He does not use Twitter as a dating service.

“I tweeted Alex Morgan a couple times [during the Women's World Cup] and everybody on Twitter assumed that you’re trying to hit on somebody. You can’t really give a sincere tweet. If it’s to a girl, [they think] you’re trying to get in their pants…That’s funny to me. Alex, hey, she’s a good looking girl. For me, Twitter is not used as a dating service. I figure it’s more of a way to connect to your fans.”

Got that guys. You see, it was just a coincidence that he picked the most attractive girl on the team. Now get your minds out of the gutter!

1. CRRaysHead90 says:

I’d hit on her, then again I’m a, dare I say, horny 21 year old ;)

2. Marc says:

Worth mentioning that Alex Morgan has a boyfriend who plays for the Sounders in the MLS?

• Amy says:

You are correct I follow her on twitter and she has even posted pictures of herself at the game where his jersey as well as openly discussing about him.

3. Sarah says:

So if he sends congratulatory twitters to a male athletes, do we assume he’s hitting on them, too?

4. Sarah says:

Actually, after listening to that podcast what strikes me isn’t anything about Alex Morgan, it’s Longoria’s claim, when asked about his reaction to Rays attendance issues, that in 2010 as the Rays pushed to the pennant, there were games where they failed to draw even 10,000 fans.

I know we don’t get a lot of sell-outs, but were there really games in September 2010 for which attendance was under 10,000? I think he’s exaggerating, and in ways that make Rays fans look bad, but I don’t know how to fact-check this statement.

• Stephen says:

Sarah, the smallest reported crowd during September 2010 was on 9/27 vs. Baltimore…12,446.

10,691 was the smallest crowd of the 2010 season (April 28 vs. Oakland).