The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: David Price. There were concerns about Price heading into this game and whether he could be counted on in a big game. As far as we’re concerned, Price came through big time. He held the lethal Rangers offense scoreless for six innings before finally yielding a home run in the 7th inning. Loss was not his fault…Desmond Jennings. Flash struggled in September. October seems to suit him much better. Two home runs for Jennings. Too bad nobody else showed up for the offense.
THE BAD: Joe Maddon. Hey, you want to stick with your guys on the postseason roster even if they struggled. That’s cool. But the Rays never show loyalty to relief pitchers. So Joe Maddon’s loyalty to JP Howell is perplexing. Did we really need to see Howell in a 1-run game with the bases loaded and Josh Hamilton at the plate? Maddon has now gone from walking Hamilton with the bases loaded during the regular season to giving him a BP pitcher in the playoffs…The Offense. No baserunners in the first 3 innings. Only 3 baserunners in the first 6 innings. Yeah. That’s not going to win too many playoff games. The Red Sox aren’t around now to help. The Rays gotta figure out a way to win this thing on their own…Evan Longoria. It is not too often that Longoria doesn’t show up. He didn’t show up last night. He went 0-3 with 3 strikeouts. And after the third strikeout, he even showed a bit of frustration, throwing the bat. And if BJ Upton is not caught stealing in the 8th, Longoria might have struck out again. Once Upton was off the bases, the Rangers pitched around Longo and gave him first base.
THE TELLING: In the 8 postseason matchups between these two teams, the home team is now 1-7…Kyle Farnsworth was available last night and even warmed up at one point. But he never got into the game.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- “Why, Joe?…Why J.P.?” Gary Shelton probably could have stopped his column there. [TampaBay.com]
- Do the Rays have too many coaches? [Wall Street Journal]
- Josh Freeman is the NFL’s most underrated. [Business Insider]
- The Rays once again get the short-end of the TV schedule stick. And it is the Rays fans that have to pay. [TampaBay.com]
- Jeff Niemann says he will be ready if the Rays advance. [TampaBay.com]
- Did Manny Ramirez attend last night’s game? More importantly, would you be surprised? [@TobyDavid]
- Here is a view of the Rays game being broadcast at Raymond James prior to the Bucs game. [@sam_gardner]
- Strange day to write a story about Rays attendance woes. [WUSF]