According to a recent study, the size of the Rays fanbase increased a little more than one percent to 1.50 million fans. That makes the Rays the most popular team in town right now. You can see the data below. Click over to Tom Jones’ story to read more and see how the data was compiled. [TampaBay.com]

1. Matt says:

I don't know what numbers they are using, but they are most definitely flawed.

I love the Rays, but there's pretty much no chance they EVER pass the Bucs in popularity unless the Bucs start reverting to the 80s era version.

• Sarah says:

Wow, Matt, that's some sophisticated analysis you are using!

• Matt says:

:P

Well, if you want something more technical, let's compare the Rays TV ratings versus the Bucs TV ratings. Which one do you think is higher?

• slacker775 says:

I bet Rays home games have much better TV ratings in the local market than Buc home games these days.

• Matt says:

Tongue-in-cheek, I know, but you're definitely right that the NFL's blackout policies are definitely hurting the Bucs' numbers. However, I'd imagine that a very large percentage of these people are simply transferring to either the radio or the online streams.

• Sarah says:

I assume you're not talking about the black-out weeks......(here I'd put one of those smiley face things to show I'm joking but I don't know how to do those...)

But I'm not sure you can make a head to head comparison to assess level of fan support because the schedules are so different. Do you compare the number of people who watch a single Bucs game to the number of people who watch a single Rays game? Or do you aggregate the total number of people who watch a week's worth of Rays' games and compare to a week's worth of Buc's games? You've got the same problem with attendance figures -- do you say the Bucs have more fans because they sell out a higher percentage of games, or that the Rays have more fans because over the course of the season they sell many more tickets?

I assume that the company that produced these figures grappled with some of those issues, whereas all you've got is the assumption that they must be wrong.

• Matt says:

All good points. Certainly the Rays have more "fan games watched" since there are 10x as many games. But I'd guess the Bucs get anywhere from 2-5x as many viewers per game as opposed to the Rays.

But you're right, there's no real way to measure it other than going door to door and asking each person if they are a fan of either team.

I just feel like this is very much a football state and doubt the Rays success over the past 4 years has changed a generation.

• Mark says:

Ummmm...are you serious? NFL teams that play once a week and 16 times a year are always going to out rate an mlb team playing 6-7 times a week and 162 times a year. You can't compare the two.

I think the amount of Bucs & Rays fans are pretty dead even and that is exactly what the study shows.