[UPDATE] See the comments. It Longoria says it was a lucky trinket, and that it was returned after the at bat.

A strange scene played out during the broadcast last night in the 8th inning as Evan Longoria stood in the on deck area. And by “strange” we of course mean strange to most men who will never experience what it is like to be a major league baseball player and have a young attractive female fan hand us something.

The scene starts innocent enough. Longoria walks over to the wall and appears to be chatting up a guy in a Red Sox cap. We have sat in these seats enough times to know this happens all the time. But after the camera cuts away to BJ Upton’s at bat, and then back to Longoria, we see a young lady on the left holding out something that Longoria grabs and places in his pocket.

[jwplayer mediaid="17847"]

Did she ask for a birthday RT? Was it her grandmother’s recipe for New England Clam Chowder? Yep. That’s gotta be it.

1. Sarah says:

My vote: she provided the name and hospital location of a sick child whose great wish is to meet Evan Longoria.

2. Sarah says:

Well, Cork, now your post has been picked up by Big League Stew and gone national, so let’s just hope the young ladies don’t have angry husbands/boyfriends at home who see it!

3. anthony says:

i think she may be saying “take my good luck charm” or “take my girlfriends number”

4. Mark says:

The first thing you see Longo doing in the video is rubbing a pine tar stick on his bat. I bet the fan was curious about it and he let her hold it until it was time to go to the plate.

He’s relentless, before he goes to the plate hes hustling…. the dirty rat…hope he likes the boston lobster(crabs)

6. Sarah says:

Let me start by saying: I must really have too much time on my hands. But anyway, saw the tweet from Evan which I assume was his explanation of the above:

@Pincus25 to clear the air, it was a lucky trinket, that didn’t work! I struck out haha. And I gave it back

• Cork Gaines says:

And here is a tweet several hours earlier that appears to corroborate Longoria’s story:

“Dear @Evan3Longoria thank you for your kind gesture of giving back my trinket last night… i was experiencing sellers remorse”