The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Keeping Pace. The Orioles helped by beating the Red Sox for the second time in three game, rallying late. So the Rays remain 2 back (1 in the loss column). But the season is also getting late, real quick, with just nine games remaining for the Rays and seven for the Red Sox.
THE BAD: Yet Another Brutal Call. In the second inning with one run in already for the Yankees. Brett Gardner reached on a bunt single when the replay showed that he was clearly out. It wasn’t even really that close. That loaded the bases with no outs. Two batters later, Curtis Granderson unloaded the bases with a double making the score 4-0. Game over…Where’s Johnny? Oh boy, it happened again. The Rays made one final rally in the 7th inning, loading the bases with no outs. Desmond Jennings flied out to left field and was unable to bring a run home. And then BJ Upton came to the plate. Why? Because he’s been hot, Johnny Damon has been struggling, and that’s how Joe Maddon has been filling out the lineup card for two weeks. But as luck would have it (you know, the bad kind), Upton was up with the bases loaded. On the season, Upton is 2-11 (.182) with the bases loaded with a walk. He does have a grand slam. On the other hand, Damon is 6-14 (.429) with 2 walks with the bases loaded. And in his career, Damon is a .380 hitter with the sacks full. Of course Upton grounded into a double-play. We’re not blaming Upton or Maddon. We are just blaming sh*tty luck.
THE TELLING: Joe Maddon was fined for his ejection and rant in the Red Sox series…Ben Zobrist may also miss the first game of today’s double-header having left the team to attend the birth of his daughter…Kyle Farnsworth will throw off a mound today…David Price is OK to go Friday. Saturday’s starter will either be Matt Moore or Alex Torres…Andy Sonnanstine made his first appearance for the Rays since June.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Mark Simon lays out the keys to the Wild Card race for the Rays. [ESPN]
- Poor Red Sox. They are losing because they have owies. [SI.com]
- Joe Maddon made an appearance on “The Dan Patrick Show” yesterday. Here is that interview transcribed. [SportsRadioInterviews]
- Do you want to know what Matt Silverman’s favorite smart phone app is? Here you go (P.S. we gave up after the second question. So let us know if they actually discuss anything important). [ABC Action News]
- If you care what Curt Schilling thinks, he doesn’t see the Red Sox making the playoffs. [ESPN]
- Manny Ramirez wants to play winter ball in the Dominican Republic. [USA Today]
- College football’s most popular football teams. The Gators are lower than we thought they would be. [Business Insider]