The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Evan Longoria. For a while there the Rays looked overmatched as they trailed 1-0 for most of the game. But then Longoria seemed to save the night with a 2-run bomb in the 6th that temporarily gave the Rays the lead. That seemed to be the spark the Rays needed. But it wasn’t enough.
THE BAD: David Price. After a little bit of a rocky start, giving up a run in the first, Price was cruising by the time the 4th inning rolled around. He needed only 37 pitches to get through the 2nd, 3rd and 4th innings, with 28 of those strikes. But while 84% (11 of 13) of his pitches were strikes in the 4th, he slowly deteriorated from there. In the 5th, it was 60% (9 of 15) strikes. In the 6th it fell to 54% (7 of 13). And finally, in the 7th, only 12 of his 25 (48%) pitches were in the strikezone. The velocity was still there, with 7 pitches hitting at least 96 mph in his final frame. But he just lost the strikezone and the O’s tied the game…Sean Rodriguez. In the 1st inning with a runner on second base, Sean Rodriguez, at shortstop, played a ball to his left as if he were playing second base. He drifted back into the outfield, waited for the ball to come to him, and thus was forced to rush his throw. The throw was in the dirt and got past Casey Kotchman, allowing the O’s first run to score…JP Howell. Just when it looked like The Dude was back to his old self, Matt Wieters came up and took JP deep breaking a 2-2 tie in the 8th.
THE TELLING: The Rays have had 5-game winning streaks 5 times this season. They are now 0-5 going for win number 6 in a row…Kyle Farnsworth’s return “won’t be anytime soon.” Roger Mooney speculates he might not return until the Yankees series next week.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Forgot to mention this earlier, but here are the letterman sweaters the Rays wore on this roadtrip. [@SPTimesRays]
- Marc Topkin has an update on Manny Ramirez. [TampaBay.com]
- James Shields has been nominated for the Roberto Clemente award. [The Heater]
- In addition to the Nationals, BJ Upton also mentioned the Mets as a team he wouldn’t mind playing for. [CBS Sports]
- Here is another writer offering reasons why the Rays will win the Wild Card (obviously written prior to last night’s game). [Yahoo Sports]
- Looks like local sports fans are in panic mode all over the place. [Joe Bucs Fan]
- Here is a look at Bowling Green’s ballpark. [Stadium Journey]