The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Keeping Pace. The story of the Orioles series should just be about keeping pace. The Rays just have to make sure they don’t lose any ground in the loss column to the Red Sox. And after last night’s win, the Rays have now made up 5 games on the Sox in the last 6 days and now trail by just 3…Joel Peralta. With Kyle Farnsworth out, Joel Peralta will be the unofficial replacement closer for the unofficial closer. And last night he looked great striking out the side in the 9th…The Giraffe. The keys for the Rays in the last 16 games will be Jeff Niemann and Wade Davis. At this point, we have to assume the other 3 starting pitchers will just do what they do. But what the Rays really need are for Niemann and Davis to step and make sure there are no off-nights. Last night wasn’t the prettiest night ever, but Niemann did work into the 8th inning and held the O’s to just 2 runs. The big outs came in the 5th inning after Niemann gave up 1 run and had a runner on 2nd with just 1 out. He escaped without any further damage and kept the O’s from getting back in the game.
THE BAD: Manny’s Karma? If you missed it last night, Manny Ramirez was arrested after an altercation with his wife. This is bad because if Manny had just taken his suspension, he would have been in Baltimore last night, helping the Rays and not beating his wife (allegedly). And yes, Manny would be a headache. But Rays DHs hit .234 with a .283 OBP in August. Manny couldn’t have been worse than that.
THE TELLING: Rob Delaney was designated for assignment to make room for Matt Moore on the 40-man roster…Matt Moore will likely be used to start innings in relief, and won’t be called in the middle of an inning. At least to start…BJ Upton set a team record reaching base 9 straight times…Bullpen coach Bobby Ramos is not expected to rejoin the Rays this season as he recovers from a throat infection.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Matt Moore hopes the biggest adjustment will be learning how to get loose faster. [TampaBay.com]
- Matt Moore is a nice problem to have. [Fangraphs]
- We love Raheem Morris (who doesn’t?). But man, Joe handled this a lot better than we would have. [Joe Bucs Fan]
- Speaking of the Bucs, we have a feeling this is what the Bucs unofficial lockout “workouts” looked like (courtesy of the several Rays). [TampaBay.com]
- Marla Vickers, the GM for double-A Montgomery, won the Southern League’s Woman of Excellence award. [Biscuit Crumbs]
Matt Moore (via TampaBay.com)