The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: James the Greater. James Shields worked into the 8th inning for the 6th straight start and for the 17th time this season. That ties Justin Verlander for tops in baseball. Nobody else has more than 14. He is also on pace to throw more than 240 innings this season. His previous high is 219.2 (2009). Only 4 pitchers in the AL have thrown 240+ innings in the last 7 years. You might have heard of them: CC Sabathia, Justin Verlander, Doc Halladay, Felix Hernandez. Those 4 will have 6 combined Cy Young Awards after this season…Hitting 8th. In one of the weirder splits we have ever seen, John Jaso is now hitting .282 with a .913 OPS and 4 home runs when he is batting 8th (88 plate appearances). When he is not hitting 8th (147 plate appearances), he is hitting .190 with a .523 OPS and no home runs. That’s weird.
THE BAD: Farnsville Is Burning. In his first appearance in 8 days, and his first appearance since suffering from “elbow tenderness” Farnsworth struggled giving up 3 hits and a run in the 9th inning. If the Rays are going to bring Farnsworth back next season, they may need to start thinking about shutting him down for the rest of this season.
THE TELLING: Brandon Guyer and Justin Ruggiano will be added to the roster today. Andy Sonnanstine will join them *head hits desk*…There will be a rally to support the Rays and (we’re still calling them) the Rowdies in downtown St. Pete on Friday.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Johnny Damon wants to return to the Rays next season. [TampaBay.com]
- This chart makes you wonder why anybody would pick football or basketball over baseball. “The biggest contracts in North American sports history.” [Business Insider]
- “I honestly had all the time in the world to throw [Johnny Damon] out, but I didn’t want to embarrass him in front of everybody.” [Onion Sports Network]
- Here is a tribute video LSU did for Rays draftee Mikie Mahtook. If baseball doesn’t work, he might have a future in professional wrestling. [The Heater]
- Joe Henderson says the Rays need help on the offensive side of the ball. [TBO.com]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Charlotte 10, DURHAM 2: Andy Sonnanstine was pounded for 7 runs (6 earned) in just 3 innings…SS Tim Beckham went 1-5 with 4 strikeouts…1B Dan Johnsonhad a double, home run and 2 walks.
- MONTGOMERY: (no games scheduled)
- Jupiter 3, CHARLOTTE 1: In 6 innings, Merrill Kelly gave up 2 runs on 5 hits and 3 walks. He struck out 2…DH Jose Lobaton was 1-3 with a double and a walk…RF Dustin Biell had the other 3 hits, all singles, for the Stone Crabs.
- Dayton 6, BOWLING GREEN 5: Wilking Rodriguez gave up 4 runs in 5 innings. He struck out 5 and walked none…SS Derek Dietrich went 1-5 and struck out 3 times.
- HUDSON VALLEY 6, Connecticut 4: Roberto Gomez made his first start of the year and pitched 5 shutout innings, giving up just 1 hit and 2 walks. He struck out 1.
- PRINCETON: (no games scheduled)