The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: BJ Upton. He got on base twice. Yay?
THE BAD: You Guys Give Up Yet? There was a lot of chatter in the Raysiverse yesterday about how the Rays could still make the playoffs if they could just get within 4 or 5 game of the Red Sox before this weekend’s series and then sweep the Sox. Essentially, those fans were asking the Rays to go on an 8-game winning streak. Instead, the Rays got pounded, and the Red Sox beat the Blue Jays 14-0. And now the Rays sit 8 back in the Wild Card with just 21 to go. Even if the Rays can somehow go 17-4 (including 14 games against the Sox and Yankees), the Red Sox would only have to go 10-11 to win the Wild Card. Hey, we love the enthusiasm and the optimism. You guys are good fans. But what you are asking for is a miracle.
THE TELLING: After committing 4 errors in 7 games, Evan Longoria got the start at DH. His 13 errors are 1 short of his career-high…Jose Lobaton tweaked his knee and will be sidelined until at least Friday...Joe Maddon now has 500 career wins, although we still don’t understand why he gets credit for those two Marlins games in 2006 when he left the team to attend his then girlfriend’s graduation...The Rays will stay on rotation for the Red Sox series, meaning they won’t skip Jeremy Hellickson despite Thursday’s off-day.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Next Stop For College Football: 5 Super-Conferences, A BCS Division, And 40 Pissed Off Schools. [Business Insider]
- In the aftermath of Sarah Tyson’s interview with Evan Longoria, The Pepsi Max Field of Dreams team has been announced. [MLB.com]
- Is this Jeremy Hellickson’s lady friend? [Busted Coverage]
- Adam Sobsey previews the Durham Bulls opening round playoff series. [IndyWeek]
- How one man’s idea led to the Rays becoming the first team to open a baseball academy in Brazil, and the challenges the Rays face in finding baseball players there. [Fox News Latino]
- Some similarities between David Price and Lee Roy Selmon. [The Ray Area]
- Fun with the Durham Bulls and some end of season charts. [WDBB]
- BRaysBall Talk feels the city of St. Pete isn’t doing much to help fill The Trop. [BRaysBall Talk]
- Chuck LaMar has resigned as assistant GM of the Phillies. [PhillyBurbs.com]
- How is there not video evidence of David Price swimming with the Rays in the Rays tank? [TampaBay.com]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM: Best-of-5 playoff series begins today
- BOWLING GREEN: Best-of-3 playoff series begins today