The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Flash. Desmond Jennings only needed one pitch in the bottom of the 10th inning to end the game. His lead-off trot-off home run was the game winner. Jennings is now hitting .302 with 9 home runs and 15 stolen bases in just 44 games. Our only fear now is that the Rays will feel that Jennings is still not ready for the big leagues. Maybe they will send him down for another 1,000 triple-A at bats. Heck, the International League playoffs began last night, and we all know how important those are for the Rays organization (these last couple of sentences are sarcasm…partly).
THE BAD: Back-End Bullpen. The Rays, whose bullpen ranks 9th in the AL with a 3.78 ERA and 11th with a 4.20 FIP, has been a sore spot this season for the most part. But, if there were two bright spots it has been Joel Peralta and Kyle Farnsworth. But yesterday, those two each gave a home run and blew a 4-2 lead in the 8th and 9th innings…Sean Rodriguez. At this point, we would rather see BJ Upton playing shortstop than Rodriguez. Wait. We take that back. No, really! Is it too late?
THE TELLING: The Rays now have 1,000 wins in franchise history.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Guess who is now just one step away from the big leagues. [Business Insider]
- Baseball America named Mike Trout the 2011 Minor League Player of the Year, and not Matt Moore. [Baseball America]
- More end of the year charts for the Durham Bulls. [WDBB]
- Busted Coverage wondered if this was Jeremy Hellickson’s lady friend. One of our followers on Twitter suggested she might be a friend of Alex Cobb’s, who is #53, but is not currently on the roster. [Busted Coverage]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Columbus 3, DURHAM 0: (Columbus leads 1-0) Matt Moore worked into the seventh inning, but gave up 3 runs, including a 4th inning solo home run. He struck out 3, walked 1 and allowed 9 hits total…SS Tim Beckham was 0-4…LF Stephen Vogt went 1-3 with a double…Chris Archer will start game 2 tonight against former Rays pitcher Mitch Talbot.
- BOWLING GREEN @ Fort Wayne (best-of-3): Game 1 postponed