The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Red Sox Rained Out. So the Rays only lost a half-game. And with the Sox and Yankees forced to play a double-header today, there is a good chance the Sox will lose at least one game.
THE BAD: Must-Win Nosedive. Everybody is talking about the Red Sox nosedive, and yet the Rays are now 4-7 in their last 11. And what do the Rays do when they have a must-win game? They get almost as many errors (2) as hits (3). One day after scoring 800 runs against the Yankees, the Rays can manage just 1 run against the Jays, and that came in the 9th inning when the game was out of reach. Outside of Matt Joyce, who had 2 hits, the Rays were 1-24 with 10 strikeouts. And more importantly, prior to the 9th inning, the Rays were 0-4 with 4 strikeouts with runners in scoring position…David Price. Not his worst outing ever, but he did not deliver the big game the Rays needed. And it was his own 2 throwing errors that led to the Jays scoring their first 3 runs…BJ Upton. We’ll have more on this later. But with the season on the line and trailing 5-0 in the 8th with Evan Longoria at the plate, there is no reason to attempt a stolen base. And there is less reason to get caught…
THE TELLING: The Rays now trail the Red Sox by 2.5 games, but 3 in the loss column with just 5 to go. Their tragic number is now 4. Any combination of 4 Red Sox wins and Rays losses and the Rays are eliminated…Kyle Farnsworth is ready to pitch again, but probably won’t throw his split-finger fastball, as that caused the elbow tenderness.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Big game for the Bucs tomorrow. Be sure to check in with Joe for all the Bucs coverage you need. [Joe Bucs Fan]
- Huh? The Rays 5-6 roadtrip was “beneficial”? [TBO.com]
- John Romano says the Rays were unable to overcome their biggest flaw. [TampaBay.com]
- Dave Cameron argues that Desmond Jennings deserves the Rookie of the Year award, something we argued a couple of weeks ago. [ESPN]
- Did the Yankees intentionally drive up Carl Crawford’s price for the Red Sox? [NESN]