He started the season in double-A. He wasn’t in the big leagues the first five months of the season. And when he finally got the call it was to make an occassional relief appearance. But now, with Jeff Niemann “a little sore and stiff,” Matt Moore will make his first major start tonight.

Oh yeah, and it just happens that the game is against the New York Yankees, in Replica Yankee Stadium, and with the Rays playoff hopes on the line.

But hey kid, go have some fun, will ya?

1. Chris says:

I’m all for Matt having some fun. But have to say that I’m worried. At 155 minor league innings this year, he’s put in a lot of time on the mound. I think, but am not sure, he’s got the most innings of any pitcher in the Rays minor league system. I admit to being greedy. I want to see a lot of him as a Durham Bull next year. So let’s be cautious Rays!

2. Chris says:

Ooops! Left out the 6 2/3 innings he pitched post-season in a losing effort against Columbus clippers.

3. Tom says:

Good move by Maddon flipping Moore and Niemann, The Blue Jays have a team OPS of .723 Vs. Righties and .778 Vs. Lefties.

The Yankees , conversely, have a Slugging % about 60 points higher as right handed hitters at Yankee stadium.

4. Phil says:

Go Matt – need a win tonight hopefully the Yankees are hungover!

5. Hal says:

Maddon’s making up for his greatest managerial mistake ever – not running Price out there in game 5 against the Phillies after the 3-day rain delay. We win tonight and we’re still right where we were when we started the Yankees series; only now with 6 games to play. I know the Yankees will be sending their B-team out there against the Sox this weekend, but their B-team is a better hitting club than the Rays and the Sox will throw Lester, Lackey, and Wakefield. The Sox tried to buy Capuano for one game for goodness sake. Panic! Panic! Panic! Bet the Sox drop 2 of 3 to the Yanks, we sweep the Jays and we start next week even.

MUST WIN TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got tix for Friday – make it count fellas.

• Gus says:

In the 3rd year of pennant races/post-seasons, I’m coming to this view of Joe Maddon: he is a great regular season manager. But in the post-season and late in the season, he really has made many, many costly mistakes that most of the followers here at the time struggled with. Stubborn? Too loyal? Enjoying the “maverick” label like he is Sarah Palin? Not sure why, but this list is just a few off the top of my head:

1. Price in the world series was one; I recall many other baffling decisions at the timeso that my impression was that he was badly outmanaged in the series. The stupid hat didn’t help.
      2. Game 5 of the ALCS in Boston was another.
      3. Badly misjudging the RH OF situation last September and than springing Baldelli as an October surprise with only a few ABs while Jennings got all of 2 starts.
      4. Shields and Shoppach and his blind faith in them during the ALDS last year (while leaving Hellickson out of the playoff rotation).
      5. Moore in Boston. It worked out, but it was more than lucky. Kid was off his targets by a foot on almost every pitch. Idiotic.
      6. The bullpen decisions leaving Peralta out all day yesterday were “maddoning”.
      7. Blind faith in JP Howell in 2011 where no evidence supports it.

He is a very good manager. But his belief in the numbers and the approach and not taking individual short series situations into consideration could make him the Gene Mauch of our generation, I fear.

I hope I’m wrong and some genius move by JoeMa will propel the Rays to the playoffs. But yesterday wasn’t good on his part.

• Sarah says:

Good points. I wonder if “managing to maintain performance over the long haul” and “managing like there’s no tomorrow” are two different skill sets?

6. CRRaysHead90 says:

no pressure or anything, kid.