Eagle-eyed commenter Amanda noticed something at the end of last night’s game that we missed.

After Sam Fuld crossed the plate scoring the winning run, we saw the usual home plate celebratory pile. But then BJ Upton did something very strange. He took Fuld’s belt off and ran off with the belt.

Fack the Heck? We have seen a lot of strange things on the baseball field before, but we have never seen that. Even Ben Zobrist has that look of amused confusion.

Prior to leaving the pile, as Fuld and his teammates get up to walk back to the dugout, you can even see Upton still on his knees yanking at the belt.

Anybody know what’s going on here?

1. Michael says:

Maybe he thought the belt would help him not suck

2. Rob says:

I actually saw this happen to Chirinos on his extra inning walk-off last week. I couldn’t see who was trying to take it, but when Kalas was interviewing him Chirinos was buckling it back on. Apparently the belt thief didn’t get it all the way off.

• Amanda says:

Yeah, I saw the same thing, Rob. I think this was just good-natured goofiness and nothing more. Maybe it’s a bit of newbie hazing, too, considering it’s Chirinos and Fuld, but they didn’t do it to Kotchman.

Yeah, it’s childish (hey, what was more childish than the bath of seeds that Price got in the middle of the game, but I laughed), but what they hay. That was a pretty cool thing the team did last night.

• Sarah says:

Honestly, does Kotchman look like the kind of guy who would react well to having his belt pulled off? I really appreciate what the man is accomplishing this year, but he truly doesn’t strike me as a real fun-loving guy.

• Amanda says:

LOL!! Look at Charinos in the screenshot … it looks like he’s checking his belt to make sure his is still there!

Upton was going to hang himself….HE can’t get a winning hit…but that little midget can….go figure!

4. BennySaxon says:

I thought that was what that was! Who knows what weird rituals these guys have.

5. Rg says:

A guy that I’m lucky enough to correspond with, Jason Turbow, had this guess about the situation;
    “My only explanation: This is something that started in the Rays’ clubhouse and is building up steam. Steal Fuld’s belt: a game we can all enjoy! (MLB clubhouses are, after all, frat houses with money. Nothing that comes out of there should be surprising …)”:

6. krewezer says:

Maybe they were getting ready to “pants” the rookie.

7. Joe says:

I think it’s just a part of the whole getting “mugged” thing. They tried to do this to Chirinos also (someone should find out if it was Upton who tried then too) and they are just trying to give him the beat up look, they also pulled his jersey out Soriano style.

8. StPeteDave says:

You guys have obviously never played baseball if you don’t know the meaning of debelting.

9. Jim says:

I remember a few years back when Orlando Cabrera hit a walk off for the Sox (pretty sure it was them and not the Angels). He was talking about how awesome of a feeling it was, and how in the dogpile, someone tried to pull off his pants. I believe Damon was on the team at that point, so maybe he’s teaching his prodigies how to celebrate?