Scene: The Rays are trailing the Tigers 2-1 with no outs in the bottom of the seventh inning on Tuesday night. Sean Rodriguez is up facing Brad Penny. Rodriguez hits a routine flyball to left fielder Delmon Young during which Rodriguez made it nearly to second base by the time the ball was caught.

Then this happened…

It was a little unclear at the time what Penny was bitching about. However, looking at the replay, it appears that Penny says something along the lines of “What the f*** are you doing? Get off the f***ing bases.”

Needless to say, this not only angered Rodriguez, but seemed to confuse him as well.

Last night, Joe Maddon was asked about the incident. And the manager that has never said a bad word about any player, friend or foe, let it be known that he wasn’t happy

“For anybody to bark at another player for … hustling is absolutely insane, ludicrous,” Maddon said. “And if Sean had just charged the mound, I’d have been fine with that at that particular moment…I think that’s ridiculous, and then he shows them (Wednesday) what that means to play hard. So any time a guy gets on another guy because he’s going to show him up by playing too hard, I have a hard time with that myself, personally.”

Maybe if Penny was trailing 7-2, and he was frustrated, this entire situation might at least be explainable. But unless there is something we are missing here, this is one of the most asinine perceived slights in baseball history.

[UPDATE] Penny offers his side of the story and says he only yelled at Rodriguez because the Rays shortstop was “screaming and cussing” as he rounded the bases. Of course the irony here is that Penny clearly drops at least to F-bombs on Rodriguez.

1. Matt says:

Brad Penny is a fata$$ has-been whose lucky to have a job. Only thing he hustles for is front of line at the buffet. Yet, somehow he landed Karina Smirnoff, she must be chubby chaser.

2. Beth says:

Well, he can bond with his teammate Victor Martinez on this issue. Does anyone recall that when Martinez was with Cleveland he was griping because one of the Rays stole a base even though the team (the Rays, that is) were down by 6 or 7 runs? Apparently when you are trailing his team, you are supposed to simply stop trying. Ironically, if I remember correctly, the offender that time was BJ Upton -- making that a rare moment when BJ was criticized for hustling too much.

3. Andrew says:

I believe that same night Penny was pitching, Victor Martinez casually jogged down the first base line on a double play, which looked like if he had hustled on it, it might have been close. Though is he hurt? I just thought it was weird seeing him jog that slow down the line.

• Beth says:

I noticed that, too - he actually quit about halfway down the line. The radio announcers last night actually addressed this -- they said that Martinez has been struggling with a bad back, and suggested that his manager and teammates pretty much give him a pass on running out ground balls because they'd rather have him well enough to swing the bat then risk the chance that he aggravate the injury running hard on a probable out.

4. Hal says:

A. Nobody in the world hustles less than Victor Martinez running to first. They could have turned that Cabrera/Martinez double play unassisted with Briggy (I think it was Briggy) stepping on second and then running to first to beat Martinez.
    B. Ain't karma a bitch Brad?

5. Dre says:

I very much remember that situation.

WHy is Rodriquez bitching from the dugout, IF some one would have told me to get the F--- off the bases..I would have knocked him out right there...or is S rod a little scared of big boy Penny?