The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: James the Greater. You could see it with the second batter of the game. Shields struck out Melky Cabrera on a changeup, the nasty variety. And right then you knew Shields wouldn’t need much support. Shields had 10 swinging strikes on the night. 9 of those were on changeups. The result was his 8th complete game and his 4th shutout…Evan Longoria’s Hair. Longoria shaved his golden locks and the result was a 2-run single in the first, and then a 2-run home run later just for shites and giggles. But then he booted a goundball. So he will probably be bald today.
THE BAD: Evan Longoria’s Barber. We are beginning to think that Longoria spends too much money on clothes and not nearly enough on his hair (above). Who is cutting his hair, David Price?…Oh BJ. Guess who was bitching at the home plate umpire, again, after another called third strike.
THE TELLING: Game took 1 hour, 53 minutes. That is the fastest 9-inning game in franchise history, and just the second to go under 2 hours. Previous fastest was 1:54 vs Astros in 2003…James Shields’ 4 shutouts are more than 26 teams. His 8 complete games are more than 25 teams, and more than the Padres, Cubs, Red Sox, Brewers, Astros and Royals combined.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- The Glazers money problems are about to go away. Is that a good thing for the Bucs? [Business Insider]
- Happy to hear the Rays will be joining the “It Gets Better” campaign. [TampaBay.com]
- A breakdown of the Rays hitting prospects and how good (or bad) they have been in several key categories. [Rays Prospects]
- We talked yesterday about the wear and tear on David Price’s arm. Watching Durham Bulls Baseball wonders if the something similar happened to Alex Cobb. [WDBB]
- Here is a look at Joe Maddon’s Summer Social. [Fox Sports Florida]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM 10, Rochester 6: Andy Sonnanstine struck out 6 and walked 2, giving up 7 hits and 3 runs in 5.2 innings…1B Dan Johnson had 2 doubles and his 8th home run…LF Stephen Vogt only had 1 hit, but he made it count. It was his 3rd home run in 10 games since being promoted…John Jaso went 2-3.
- MONTGOMERY 6, Mobile 0 (gm 1): Alex Colome threw a 7-inning, 1-hit shutout, striking out 2 and walking 2…1B Henry Wrigley hit his 12th home run…SS Tim Beckham went 0-2.
- Mobile 4, MONTGOMERY 1 (gm 2): Nick Barnese gave up 3 runs in 5 innings. He struck out 4 and walked 4…SS Tim Beckham went 0-2.
- CHARLOTTE 7, Palm Beach 6: CJ Riefenhauser gave up 4 runs in 4 innings…Guess who had another multi-hit game, his third straight? Yep, Hak-Ju Lee went 2-5…2B Tyler Bortnick went 2-3 with a double and a walk.
- South Bend 5, BOWLING GREEN 4: Jason McEachern allowed 4 runs in 5 innings…C Keith Castillo hit his 3rd home run…SS Derek Dietrich went 1-4.
- HUDSON VALLEY 7, Lowell 0: Andrew Bellatti pitched 5 shutout innings, striking out 4 and giving up 2 hits and 2 walks.
- Bluefield 6, PRINCETON 2: C Justin O’Connor hit his 4th home run.