The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Relayed To Perfection. We’ll get to the home runs in a moment, but the most important play last night was Sean Rodriguez’ relay in the bottom of the 4th from Ben Zobrist (at the wall) to Kelly Shoppach nailing a runner at home and keeping the score at 3-1. It was a thing of beauty…Home Run Barrage. Apparently the first 10,000 at the Yankees game last night wearing Rays gear got a home run. Five solo home runs off of CC Sabathia, by five different batters…Joel Peralta. It wasn’t the most important inning ever, but a 4-run lead against the Yankees is like a 2-run lead against most teams. And Peralta came in and struck out the side for a 1-2-3 9th inning...David Price. Nice to see the bounce-back game. And interestingly, he mixed up his pitches a bit more than usual. Of his 114 pitches, only 66 (57.9% were fastballs). Normally he is closer to 75% fastballs. And only 1 of those last night was of the two-seem variety.
THE BAD: Nothing to report today.
THE TELLING: The Rays are now 7.5 behind the Yankees in the Wild Card. Keep in mind that the Rays are also a half-game behind the Angels in the Wild Card, so there is another team involved here…The Rays are now 5-5 against the Yankees this season…In 5 triple-A starts (30.2 ip), Matt Moore has struck out 49, walked 7, given up just 16 hits and has an ERA of 0.88. Yeah, he’s pretty good.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- If you missed it, it looks like we might be able to add weed to the list of items stolen from Evan Longoria, David Price, and Reid Brignac back in March. [Rays Index]
- Alex Cobb’s surgery has been pushed back. [Rays Report]
- Evan Longoria makes an appearance in “The Dugout” where he helps the police solve the robbery of his spring training home. [With Leather]
- Rookie Mason Foster’s job with the Bucs just got a whole lot easier. [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Buffalo 3, DURHAM 2: Matt Moore had 10 more strikeouts and just 2 walks in 6 shutout innings, giving up only 2 hits…SS Tim Beckham went 2-4 with an RBI…DH John Jaso was 1-4 with 2 strikeouts.
- MONTGOMERY 12, Carolina 7: Chris Archer allowed 4 runs in 5 innings on 4 hits and 2 walks. He struck out 5. His ERA is now 4.45…SS Hak-Ju Lee went 1-4 with a walk. He also committed his first double-A error…3B Cole Figueroa had a grand slam, his 5th home run of the year…LF John Shelby hit his 15th home run.
- St. Lucie 3, CHARLOTTE 0: Merrill Kelly only gave up 1 run in 5.1 innings, but the Stone Crabs managed just 1 hit on the night.
- Fort Wayne 4, BOWLING GREEN 3: Wilking Rodriguez allowed 3 runs (2 earned) in 4.2 innings, giving up 8 hits and 3 walks…RF Cody Rogers went 3-4 with a triple.
- Tri-City 9, HUDSON VALLEY 4 (gm 1): Trevor Shull gave up 7 runs in 4 innings on 7 hits and 5 walks.
- Tri-City 2, HUDSON VALLEY 1 (gm 2): Robert Dickman allowed 2 unearned runs in 5 innings.
- Kingston 6, PRINCETON 5: SS Jake Hager had his third straight multi-hit game, going 2-4. He is still only hitting .235 on the season.