The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Casey Kotchman. Three more magical hits for Kotch including his 6th home run. He also just missed a second home run when he hit a line drive to the warning track…Des Jennings. Flash was on base 3 more times with 3 singles…Kyle Farnsworth. In 2010 Rafael Soriano was worth 1.6 Wins (WAR) and cost $7.5 million. This year, the Rays are paying Farnsworth $2.6M and he’s on pace for 1.5 WAR. Seems like a fair trade to us.
THE BAD: Jake McGee. Josh Willingham can’t do a lot. But he can mash fastballs. In the last 3 seasons, Willingham has been worth 33.8 runs above average on fastballs alone. McGee came in to the game to start the 10th with Willingham leading off. McGee threw him 6 straight fastballs, the last of which was of the 350-foot variety to give the A’s the lead for good…David Price. Price didn’t even finish the 5th inning, giving up 4 runs. He did strike out 7, but it took him 110 pitches to get there struggling with his control. Of his 110 pitches, 45 were balls.
THE TELLING: Alex Cobb went on the DL and Cesar Ramos was recalled from Durham…SS prospect Derek Dietrich (single-A Bowling Green) hit his 16th HR. That is tops in the minors among middle infielders…John Jaso will begin a rehab assignment in Durham that will last at least 2 weeks…Don’t be shocked if Alex Cobb is shut down for the rest of the season even if his hand injury is not serious.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Alex Cobb says his arm has a “dead arm” feel to it. [TampaBay.com]
- Bill Chastain writes about the Rays sudden surplus of catchers. [MLB]
- Rays Prospects takes a look at how the draft picks from 2008 and 2009 are faring this year. [Rays Prospects]
- Yesterday we showed you a pic of poor Reid Brignac wearing
a Star Wars jersey and a Gazoo helmet. Watching Durham Bulls Baseball explores the extra-large lids. [WDBB]
- Our partners in crime were on hand for the Bucs Saturday night practice. [Joe Bucs Fan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM 6, Lehigh Valley 4: Rough day for Matt Moore. Only struck out 10 in 6.2 innings and gave up 2 runs. He walked none. But his ERA has now ballooned to 1.09 in 4 starts. Maybe he’s not ready for triple-A (and yes, we are joking)…RF Russ Canzler went 3-3 with a walk and his 15th home run…LF Stephen Vogt who could be part of the DH equation in 2012 went 1-4 and hit his second home run since being promoted…SS Reid Brignac went 0-2 with a walk.
- MONTGOMERY 10, Mobile 3: Shane Dyer allowed 3 runs on 6 hits and 2 walks. He struck out 3…SS Tim Beckham had a double in 4 at bats with a walk…LF John Shelby (14) homered for the second straight game.
- St. Lucie 5, CHARLOTTE 2: Merrill Kelly tossed 6 shutout innings with 2 Ks and 4 walks. He allowed just 3 hits. His ERA is now 3.12 with 61 Ks and 41 walks in 106.2 innings…SS Hak-Ju Lee had a double and a triple in 4 at bats. In other words, just another day in single-A…LF Tony Scelfo went 3-4.
- BOWLING GREEN 14, South Bend 3: George Jensen allowed 2 runs on 5 hits and 1 walk in 5 innings. He struck out 3…SS Derek Dietrich went 4-6 with 2 doubles and his 16th home run. He is 14-31 in the last 7 games and his 16 home runs is tied for 5th in the ML…3B Julio Cedeno hit his 8th home run. It was his 4th in the last 7 games.
- Aberdeen 4, HUDSON VALLEY 1: Trevor Shull who tried a stint as a fielder, returned to the mound for the first time since 2009. He gave up 3 runs in 4.2 innings, struck out 1 and walked 2.
- Greeneville 8, PRINCETON 3: RF Drew Vettleson hit his 6th home run.