The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: The Summer of Kotch. Casey Kotchman’s magical summer just keeps on chugging along. This time it was a first-pitch trot-off home run to lead off the bottom of the ninth. It was also his third hit of the game raising his average to .341, second only to Adrian Gonzalez (.350) in the AL…Jeremy Hellickson. Hellboy has this amazing way of boring you into oblivion. Next thing you know, you look up and he is in the 8th inning and has only allowed 1 run. He is still walking more than he should be (3 last night). But hopefully that will come around…Flash Jennings. Desmond Jennings has now played 16 games since being recalled from Durham. He is hitting .328 despite an 0-3 last night. But he did steal his 7th base. That would be 71 over the course of 162 games.
THE BAD: Dirtbag’s Aim. After the game, Evan Longoria tried to administer the post-win whipped cream pie to the face of Casey Kotchman. Considering the eye problems that Kotch has overcome, we are kinda glad Longo missed.
THE TELLING: Matt Moore was named the International League’s Pitcher of the Week..John Jaso will begin his rehab assignment tonight with the Durham Bulls…Here is a larger version of the picture above. It is hard to see, but that is a gigantic wad of gum that somebody left on the plate hoping Casey Kotchman would step on it. He did not.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Evan Longoria has been taking early batting practice recently in order to get some more one-on-one time with Derek Shelton. We’ll let you guys decide if this is actually a good thing…In the same report we learn that Johnny Damon may have cleared waivers (as expected). The Rays would then be free to trade him to any team. But how many playoff contenders need a DH-type? [TampaBay.com]
- Sam Fuld discusses his daily battle with Diabetes. Link also includes video of Fuld visiting Diabetes patients at USF Diabetes center. [MyFoxTampaBay]
- Here is a cool photo gallery of the recent Rays TweetUp. [Fifth World Art]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM 6, Rochester 5: Alex Torres struck out 6 and walked 3 in 5 innings. He gave up 6 hits and 4 runs…DH Stephen Vogt had 3 more hits including a double. in 10 games since being promoted, he has 15 hits and 5 multi-hit games…The Bulls turned 4 double-plays in the game including a key bunt pop-up in the 9th inning that helped preserve the win.
- Mobile @ MONTGOMERY: (postponed)
- CHARLOTTE 3, St. Lucie 0: Kyle Lobstein tossed 6 shutout innings on 4 hits and a walk. He struck out 6 to lower his ERA to 4.11…SS Hak-Ju Lee went 2-4 with his 4th home run and 28th stolen base…2B Tyler Bortnick had a single and 3 walks. He also stole 3 bases giving him 38 on the year, tops in the FSL.
- BOWLING GREEN @ South Bend: (postponed)
- Aberdeen 6, HUDSON VALLEY 4: Jake Partridge gave up 3 runs (1 earned) in 5 innings on 6 hits and 1 walk. He struck out 2.
- PRINCETON 7, Greeneville 5: 1B Cameron Seitzer hit his 10th home run, that is tied for fourth in the Appalachian League.