The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Honey Nut Chirinos. The Rays came from behind twice in extra innings before winning it in the 12th. And two of the big hits were delivered by Robinson Chirinos, who is having himself a hell of a series. In the 11th, he tied the game up with a 2-out single. And in the 12th, his 2-out single to left was the game winner…Desmond Jennings. Flash picked up the first comeback hit with a leadoff home run in the bottom of the 10th, his 3rd of the year…Big Dub. Once again, Wade Davis was slow out of the chute, giving up 2 in the first. But between that and the Bautista home run in the 8th, Davis retired 22 of 25. And it wasn’t his fault he had to face Bautista.
THE BAD: Pitching to Bautista. In the 8th inning, with the Rays nursing a 3-2 lead and Wade Davis sitting on 106 pitches, Joe Maddon had Davis pitch to Jose Bautista for the fourth time. On the season, when Bautista is facing a starting pitcher for at least the third time in a game, he is hitting .348 with 9 home runs and a 1.163 OPS in 92 at bats. Bautista homered, tying the game. That boneheaded decision by Maddon almost cost the Rays the game…Evan Longoria. Longo also barely escaped being the goat of the day. With the bases loaded and 2 outs with the score tied in the 11th. Longoria hit a groundball of the leg of the pitcher that he probably beats out if not for sliding head first into first base.
THE TELLING: This was the first time ever that the Rays overcame two separate extra-inning deficits…Yesterday was the Rays Tweetup. Here is a GIF of that group….The event was hosted by Darren Rovell of CNBC, who sang both national anthems, and even had a Twitterific personalized jersey.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Poor Reid Brignac. Gets demoted to Durham. And now on Saturday, he will have to wear this monstrosity. It is for a good cause. But eek. [Durham Bulls Star Wars Jersey]
- Gary Shelton looks at the Rays future, which was on display Thursday. [TampaBay.com]
- Scroll down on this link for a look at how the triple-A pitchers have performed so far. [WDBB]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Lehigh Valley 5, DURHAM 3: Andy Sonnanstine allowed 5 runs in 6 innings. His ERA is now 4.06 in 4 triple-A starts…SS Reid Brignac went 1-4 and DH Dan Johnson was 4-4 with a double…C Stephen Vogt had 2 more hits, his third multi-hit game in his first 5 triple-A games. He is now 9-24.
- Jacksonville 4, MONTGOMERY 2: Nick Barnese gave up 4 runs (3 earned) in 6 innings. He struck out 5 and walked 2…2B Cole Figueroa was 2-5 with his 4th home run. It was his fifth multi-hit game in the last 8 games…SS Tim Beckham was 0-4 with a walk.
- CHARLOTTE 2, Palm Beach 1 (14): 14 innings, and Charlotte won the game on a wild pitch. Sucks for the other guys…CJ Riefenhauser allowed 1 run in 5 innings…SS Hak-Ju Lee was 1-3 with 3 walks.
- BOWLING GREEN 4, Fort Wayne 1: Enny Romero gave up 4 hits and 4 walks in just 3.2 innings, leading to just 1 run…SS Derek Dietrich went 1-4.
- HUDSON VALLEY 3, Batavia 2: Andrew Bellatti allowed just 1 run in 5 innings. He struck out 6 and walked 1…C Kyle Holloway hit his 4th home run and added a double.
- Danville 10, PRINCETON 1: 1B Cameron Seitzer was 1-3.