The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Honey Nut Chirinos. Robinson Chirinos had 2 more hits. It was almost enough to hide the fact that the A’s were 7-7 stealing bases. Wait. Nevermind. No it wasn’t.
THE BAD: Anemic O Returns. The Rays were shutout on 5 hits and 2 walks. It was the 11th time the Rays were shutout this season. That only happened 10 times in the entire 2010 season, and the Rays have 51 games left this year. The loss was also the 36th time the Rays have scored less than 3 runs…Alex Cobb. The rookie was due for one of these starts where he just didn’t have it. Cobb did have an issue with his hand that was serious enough to require a trip to the hospital after the game. But if the hand was an issue during the game, why was he allowed to throw 93 pitches?
THE TELLING: Alex Cobb had to be taken to a hospital following his start for a possible blood clot in his hand…The Rays are now 10 games back in the Wild Card.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Matt Bush has added a slider to arsenal with resounding success. The former number 1 overall pick has struck out 8 and allowed no runs in 4.1 innings since adding the new pitch. Prior, he was almost exclusively fastballs with occasional curveballs. But the fastball isn’t too shabby. Stacy Long reports that he hit 100 mph the other night. [Montgomery Advertiser]
- Evan Longoria got a private drumming lesson from the Goo Goo Dolls. [The Heater]
- Peter Gammons is reporting that Kyle Farnsworth was placed on waivers earlier this week. That is the first step needed to trade a player in August. However, it doesn’t mean anything is imminent or even close. We don’t even know if Farnsworth cleared waivers, something needed in order for a trade to happen. [Twitter]
- Roger Mooney examines how well the rookies have fared recently. [TBO.com]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM 6, Lehigh Valley 2: Matt Torra gave up 2 runs in 6 innings…SS Reid Brignac went 0-4 with a K…LF Stephen Vogt was finally shut down, going 0-4…1B Dan Johnson went 0-1 but walked 3 times.
- Mobile 12, MONTGOMERY 7: Chris Archer struck out 6 and walked 3 in 5 innings. He gave up 3 hits and 3 runs (1 earned). His ERA is 4.34…SS Tim Beckham had 3 hits and a walk. He also stole his 14th and 15th bases, but did commit his 20th error…LF John Shelby hit his 13th home run.
- CHARLOTTE 6, St. Lucie 3: Jake Thompson allowed just 1 run in 6 innings, but did give up 4 hits and 4 walks. He struck out 4…SS Hak-Ju Lee went 1-5 with a double…2B Tyler Bortnick had 4 hits including 2 doubles. He also walked once in 5 plate appearances. He is hitting .304.
- South Bend 3, BOWLING GREEN 2: Wilking Rodriguez pitched 4 shutout innings, allowing no hits and 1 walk. He struck out 2…SS Derek Dietrich went 2-4 with a double.
- Aberdeen @ HUDSON VALLEY: (postponed)
- PRINCETON 8, Greeneville 7: With the P-Rays trailing 7-6 in the 9th, 1B Cameron Seitzer hit a 2-run trot-off home run. His 9th home run.