The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Flash. Is there any other reason besides Desmond Jennings to be watching the Rays right now? Somebody should invent a smart phone app that makes a sound when Jennings comes up. Because that is about the only time the Rays will do anything good with the bat. Last night it was an impressive opposite field home run.
THE BAD: Rest of Lineup. Hitters not named Jennings went 0-19 in the first 8 innings of the game. If not for back-to-back 2-out singles in the 9th, the Rays would have been 1-hit for the second time in 4 days. The worst moment? Two walks and a hit batter loaded the bases in the 2nd inning. Somehow, the Rays couldn’t get a run home. Do you know how hard that is to do?…David Price. He is just a mess right now. Three more runs, including 2 home runs and failed to finish the 7th inning. Has now allowed at least 3 runs in 5 of his last 6 starts.
THE TELLING: John Jaso is still a few weeks away from returning. And Jose Lobaton is also still a long ways from returning (the Lobaton news has now been removed from that story without explanation. You can see part of the original report at THIS LINK)…In Matt Moore’s first 3 triple-A starts: 18ip, 9 hits, 5 walks, 29 Ks, 0.50 ERA. Somebody can smell the finish line…
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- “Clutch Hitters” a local group of businesspeople has gotten a lot of ink in local papers the last couple of days. They aren’t proposing anything. No, they are “focused on emphasizing the need for new stadium talks to begin.” Apparently they have talked with people like the Rays and the Mayor of Tampa. Color us skeptical. [TampaBay.com]
- If the “Legend of Sam Fuld” hasn’t already jumped the shark, then this should do the trick. [The Heater]
- Here is some more on Evan Longoria’s tweeting habits. [Cowbell Clankers]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM 18, Charlotte 3: Matt Moore with another 5 shutout innings, striking out 9 and walking just 1…Reid Brignac homered, his first since being demoted…DH Stephen Vogt went 3-5 with 3 doubles. He is 6-13 in his first 3 triple-A games…RF Russ Canzler had 4 hits including his 14th home run…1B Dan Johnson hit his 6th home run.
- Jacksonville 8, MONTGOMERY 6: Shane Dyer gave up 5 runs (3 earned) in 5.2 innings…SS Tim Beckham went 2-5 with 2 RBI with his 13th steal.
- CHARLOTTE: (no game scheduled)
- BOWLING GREEN 3, Fort Wayne 0: Jason McEachern tossed 6 shutout innings, striking out 3 and walking 1…SS Derek Dietrich went 3-4 raising his average to .287…DH Julio Cedeno homered for the third straight game, giving him 7 on the year.
- HUDSON VALLEY 7, Batavia 3: Jake Partridge allowed 3 runs (1 earned) in 5 innings.
- PRINCETON: (no game scheduled)