BJ Upton is not in the lineup this evening against the A’s. We’ve been duped before, so we are not going to let that get us all in a tizzy.

Meanwhile, 2,811 miles away, catcher Wilson Ramos and shortstop Ian Desmond are out of the Nationals lineup.

Hmmm? The Rays could use a catcher and a shortstop. Especially two that are cheap, have solid upsides, and have a combined nine years left until free agency.

OK. Interest piqued. Eyebrow raised.

For what it’s worth, Marc Topkin reports that Upton is in the clubhouse and is telling reporters that “there’s nothing going on” and that he is just getting (another) day off (second in four days).

1. Matt says:

I don't know, this sounds legit. It might not be happening tonight, but maybe they got close earlier today and both GMs told the managers to pull those players in case they get closer tonight.

2. Alex says:

Holy crap. If they offer Ramos DO NOT HESITATE RAYS

3. Sarah says:

Love the photo you've used to illustrate this. Unfortunately, for all his grace in the field and potentially explosive bat (I was there the day he hit for the cycle!), this is how I'll remember her.

4. Sarah says:

Well, this is off-topic, but some of us can probably share some "schadenfreude" at the news of Pat Burrell's release: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/07/giants-expected-to-release-pat-burrell.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

5. Sarah says:

By the way, that was supposed to be "him".

6. Michael says:

So what we are saying is The Elliot Johnson Era is over?

I am crushed.

7. Joe says:

If Upton is a member of the Rays roster by tomorrows game, I will be surprised. I think they got close a few days ago and now today they got real close and are just dotting their I's and crossing their T's. Upton said he hung out in the trainers room from a tight quad, later he said he stayed in there "because I knew you guys would be waiting for me". Benched, playing awful because of something on his mind and sometimes there are just too many rumors that one has to be true.

Rumor has it UPton has changed his attitude.."he says he can't wait to get away from Maddon, to a manager/hitting coach that can help him, plus he is tired of fans expecting too much from him, he said look at Burrell he couldn't hit eiher but got away from the Rays and has another WS ring....Why can't it happen to me"

9. David says:

Why would any team give up real talent for Upton? The guy (as nice a guy as he is), is a head-case. He can't keep focus at the plate, in the field, or on the bases. He has tremendous ability, no doubt, but he's a giant risk and the only way a team would even want to trade for him would be if they thought there was a chance a change in scenery would keep him on task.