The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: The Summer of Kotch Continues. His 3-run double in the 6th turned a 1-0 deficit into a 3-1 lead the Rays would never relinquish…Justin Ruggiano. Keep riding that train. His 2-run home run was the icing on a very tasty cake…Johnny Damon. His second 4-hit game in two weeks.
THE BAD: Niemann’s Gas. We’ll never figure Jeff Niemann out, and now might be a good time to finally move him to the bullpen. First of all, Niemann pitched well last night. However, his fastball, which was 93-94 early in the game, was 89-90 by the 6th and 7th innings. A big strong guy like him should be able to maintain his velocity. So why not give him 2 inning stints late in the game where he can just let it go and not worry about getting tired? Yes, his value is higher to the team as a starter. But moving forward, this team might be better with Alex Cobb in the rotation and Niemann in the 7th and 8th.
THE TELLING: The Rays may have screwed up by leaving the cigar off the logo, but man, they got the hose right.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- The Rays acquired triple-A pitcher Matt Torra from the Diamondbacks for cash.
- Even George Hendrick, inventor of the long pants in baseball, got caught up in the striped hosiery. [30fps]
- It looked like Evan Longoria tried to smoke his Smokers uni. [Image]
- Elliot Johnson and David Price aren’t sure why they got ejected on Friday. [TampaBay.com] And this article has a funny pic of Elliot Johnson trying to keep himself out of trouble last night. [TampaBay.com]
- Joe Maddon doesn’t expect any suspensions from the ejections in Friday’s game. [The Heater]
- Sam Fuld will be a commentator for ESPN during the Home Run Derby contest during the All-Star break. [TBO.com]
- There is a good chance no Rays will play in the All-Star game, which is a shame. Marc Topkin breaks down the possibilities. [TampaBay.com]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Gwinnett 4, DURHAM 1: Alex Cobb struck out 5 and walked 2 in 6 innings. He gave up 4 runs (2 earned)…CF Desmond Jennings was 0-2 with a walk…C Jose Lobaton went 1-3 with a walk.
- Mobile 6, MONTGOMERY 3: Chris Archer gave up 5 runs (4 earned) in 5 innings. He struck out 3 and walked 5…SS Tim Beckham was 1-4 with walk.
- Fort Myers 9, CHARLOTTE 3: Kyle Lobstein gave up 7 runs in 4.2 innings including 2 home runs. He struck out 4 and walked 3…SS Hak-Ju Lee was 1-5 with 3 strikeouts.
- Dayton 3, BOWLING GREEN 2: CJ Riefenhauser struck out 7 and walked 1 in 5 innings. The lefty now has 89 Ks and 21 walks in 86.1 innings…SS Derek Dietrich went 2-3 with a double and a walk.
- HUDSON VALLEY 8, Aberdeen 0:
- PRINCETON 3, Bluefield 2 (10):