The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Flash Jennings: The star of the weekend was without a doubt Desmond Jennings. In 2 games, Jennings went 4-6 with 2 walks, 2 stolen bases and now has as many extra-base hits (3) as Reid Brignac has all year. And the speed? Oh, the speed. On Saturday, Jennings scored from first on a ball to right-center that didn’t even reach the wall. No doubt, this is going to be a fun kid to watch play…Alex Cobb. Where would the Rays be in the standings if Jennings and Cobb were in the big leagues from the start of the season? Of course, the other argument is that both are only playing well because they had the extra time in the minors.
THE BAD: GTMI Fail. In 12 of the 28 innings in this series, the Rays had at least one runner in scoring position with less than 2 outs. The Rays failed to score in 6 of those 12 innings. The culprit? The strikeout of course. In those 22 at bats with runners in scoring position and less than 2 outs, Rays hitters struck out 8 times failing to even advance a runner…One For The Bad Guys. In all fairness, the Rays probably should have won Saturday night’s game, if not for blown call at first base in the 9th inning. With 1 out and a runner on first base, Kyle Farnsworth appeared to pick-off the runner (here is the best pic we could find). That runner would eventually score the tying run and the Royals would win the game in the 10th.
THE TELLING: Ben Zobrist is preparing to potentially play some shortstop…Reid Brignac may not be recalled when rosters expend in September.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Alcides Escobar called Sam Fuld’s spikes-high slide on Friday “dirty.” Maybe we are biased, but we don’t think it was dirty because Fuld doesn’t have that type of reputation. It was certainly a bad play. And Fuld deserved the plunking he got later. But we doubt Fuld was trying to hurt Escobar. [KC Star]
- Are the Giants just using BJ Upton as
leverage to get Carlos Beltran. [CBS Sports]
- BJ Upton on the trade rumors involving him: “It’s become a comedy to me. So whatever…I’m to the point where I don’t even care. If it happens, it happens. I don’t know. I’m to the point where I just really don’t give a (darn).” [The Heater]
- Should Warrick Dunn receive consideration as the greatest Buccaneer ever? [Joe Bucs Fan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM 2, Toledo 1: Andy Sonnanstine gave up just 1 run in 7 innings. He struck out 6 and walked 2…DH Felipe Lopez was 3-4 with a double and his 7th home run…CF Brandon Guyer went 0-3 with 2 Ks.
- MONTGOMERY: no games scheduled
- Dunedin 6, CHARLOTTE 5: Merrill Kelly allowed 3 runs in 3 innings…SS Hak-Ju Lee went 1-5 with 2 strikeouts…2B Tyler Bortnick was 2-4 with 2 doubles, a walk and his 31st stolen base.
- BOWLING GREEN 5, Peoria 2: Wilking Rodriguez struck out 5 and walked 1 in 2.2 shutout innings…RF Cody Rogers was 2-4 with a pair of RBI…SS Derek Dietrich hit his 14th home run.
- HUDSON VALLEY 6, Mahoning Valley 0: 1B Jeff Malm hit his 11th home run in 34 games for the Renegades.
- PRINCETON 9, Bluefield 4: 3B Taylor Motter was 3-4 with 2 home runs.