The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: We’re too effing tired to come up with anything good.
THE BAD: Joe Maddon. JoeMa went all-in in the 8th inning when he called on Kyle Farnsworth with 1 out in the 8th inning and a short bullpen thanks to Sunday’s 16 inning affair. But when Farnsworth blew the save in the 8th, Maddon turned to Alex Torres to make his big league debut in the 9th inning of a tie game against the Yankees with the heart of their order due up. It was a recipe for disaster, and disaster is exactly what Torres delivered. After a single and an intentional walk, Torres walked two straight batters with stuff that was too nasty (think Victor Zambrano, too much movement, can’t find the strikezone). The second walk brough home the go-ahead run…Evan Longoria’s Foot. His foot is hurting much more than an occasional discomfort. He is legitimately hurt, and either we will hear about needing surgery after the season, or he will need to be shut down during the season…AAA Lineup. In the 9th inning, the Rays had a meeting on the mound. Of the 6 players in the meeting, 4 had started the season in triple-A (Elliot Johnson, Casey Kotchman, Alex Torres, Robinson Chirinos). Not exactly the recipe for beating the Yankees.
THE TELLING: A bank of lights went out after the Trop was struck by lightning, causing a delay of 18 minutes. And of course it happened during a nationally televised game leading to the comments on the failures of the Trop as if no other stadium had ever experienced a power outage (Yankee Stadium had one in 2004)…Would Alex Torres have been called up if the Rays hadn’t played 16 innings on Sunday? And if not, that raises the question of whether Jose Cruz is actually injured or if this is just another Rays roster move using the DL…The Rays are now 6.5 games out of the Wild Card and have just an 8.5 percent shot at the playoffs. Game. Set. Ma….
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Before the game, the Rays designated Adam Russell for assignment and placed Juan Cruz on the DL with a strained groin. In addition to calling up Alex Cobb, the Rays also added Alex Torres as a long-man in the bullpen.
- And after the game Alex Torres was optioned back to Durham.
- Matt Moore has been promoted to triple-A Durham. He will likely start on Friday for the Bulls.
- Evan Longoria says his foot isn’t bothering him, but his oblique might be…So why is he limping when he runs hard? [TampaBay.com]
- John Romano writes about the emergence of Alex Cobb and what that means for the Rays. [TampaBay.com]
- The Mets have signed Fernando Perez to a minor league deal.
- Cardinals say they are not shopping Colby Rasmus and call a deal “highly unlikely.” [MLBTR]
- Mark Simon looks at the matchup between Evan Longoria and the Yankees pitching staff in this series. [ESPN New York]
- Cameron Seitzer names AL’s player of the week. [Rays Prospects]
- Would Desmond Jennings help the Rays offense? Couldn’t hurt. [ESPN Insider]
- Joe Maddon is a Tom Clancy fan. That earns bonus points in RI’s book. [TampaBay.com]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM 4, Rochester 1: Reliever Ryan Reid made the spot-start and gave up just 1 run in 3.2 innings…DH Desmond Jennings went 0-5…LF Brandon Guyer was 1-4 with a triple…1B Dan Johnson hit his 4th home run.#
- Huntsville 8, MONTGOMERY 2: Nick Barnese gave up 4 runs in 3 innings. He struck out 2 and walked 2…Matt Bush struck out 2 of the 3 batters he faced in the 9th inning…SS Tim Beckham went 0-4. And on the same day we praised his defense, he committed 3 errors.
- CHARLOTTE 9, Lakeland 1: Alex Colome held Lakeland to 1 run in 6 innings. He struck out 4 and walked 3…SS Hak-Ju Lee went 1-5…2B Tyler Bortnick was 1-4.
- BOWLING GREEN 6, Quad Cities 0: CJ Riefenhauser allowed just 1 hit in 5 shutout innings. In his last 2 starts, he has tossed 10 shutout innings and given up just 2 hits and 2 walks…SS Derek Dietrich went 2-5 with a double…3B Robby Price had 3 doubles, raising his average to .258.
- Connecticut 8, HUDSON VALLEY 3: Andrew Bellatti allowed 2 runs in 5.2 innings. And yes, we feel dirty every time we type his name.
- Johnson City 4, PRINCETON 1: 1B Cameron Seitzer was 0-3 with a walk.
Makes us wonder how the conversation with Jim Hickey went in 9th inning (via TampaBay.com)