The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: The Bullpen. It wasn’t the best performance ever (3ip, 1r, 3bb, 2K), but anytime a bullpen can hold the Yankees to 1 run in 3 innings and keep the Rays in the game, that is all we can ask for…BJ’s Big Apple. In his career, playing in New York, BJ Upton is 48-152 (.316) with 8 home runs and 28 RBI in 41 games…Ben Zobrist. Zorilla has 9 hits and 4 walks in the last 4 games.
THE BAD: David Price. Only 66 of Price’s 108 pitches (61.1%) were fastballs. Prior to yesterday, that number was 79.1%. And when Price is really strong, it is not unusual to see 90% fastballs. So either Price did not have his good fastball yesterday. Or the Rays didn’t want to throw the Yankees too many heaters. If the latter is the case, it is a bit troubling. Price is a dominating pitcher with a dominating fastball. He is one of those rare pitchers that shouldn’t have to adjust his style based on the opposition no matter how good they are…BJ Upton. Can BJ please stop bickering at the umpires. It is getting to the point where we just want the umpire to eject him. Yesterday it was after a called strike 1 in the 8th inning.
THE TELLING: Desmond Jennings has now been placed on the DL and will be out a couple of weeks. So much for “day-to-day”…The first hit David Price gave up in his career was a home run to, you guessed it, Derek Jeter…According to CoolStandings.com, the Rays have a 13% chance of making the playoffs despite having the 4th best record in the AL.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- JP Howell on his $1,000 fine: “That (stinks). That’s not cool…A thousand bucks for that? I didn’t touch him…I don’t want to pay a thousand…I want to get it over with, too. But a thousand bucks is steep to me…I wonder how much [the umpires] get fined for cussing at us. But I don’t think it’s any.” [TampaBay.com]
- Matt Joyce is not happy about having to dish out $7,000 for his share of a private jet to get to the All-Star game. And don’t give us this BS about airline tickets being limited. There are some available, and Joyce could get from NYC to Phoenix to Tampa for about $1,500. [TampaBay.com]
- Wade Boggs comments on Derek Jeter’s 3,000th hit. [TampaBay.com]
- Former RaysIndex obsession Fernando Perez, has been released by the Cubs. Perez was part of the deal that sent Matt Garza to the Cubs and brought back half of the Cubs farm system. Here is hoping the Rays sign Perez to add some triple-A depth. [MLBTR]
- A prospect that was released by the Rays earlier this season, was arrested trying to smuggle cocaine into the country. [BigLeadSports]
- Evan Longoria on his own struggles: “it just gives me more drive to make it back next year”…huh? Shouldn’t he be thinking about making it back this year? [TBO.com]
- Nevin Ashley thanked Matt Moore for throwing a no-hitter by having the lineup cards from that night framed. [Montgomery Advertiser]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM 11, Norfolk 8 (13): The Bulls won in the 13th, scoring 3 runs on an error, a wild pitch and a sac fly…Dirk Hayhurst gave up 6 runs in 5.1 innings. He struck out 4 and walked 3…LF Leslie Anderson led off with Desmond Jennings on the DL and went 4-8…RF Russ Canzler went 5-7 with a double, triple, and 3 RBI…C Jose Lobaton went 2-5 with 2 walks. He is hitting .298.
- Jacksonville 6, MONTGOMERY 1: Jim Paduch allowed 3 runs in 6 innings, with 6 strikeouts and 2 walks…1B Henry Wrigley was 2-2 with a double and 2 walks.
- CHARLOTTE 12, Daytona 6: Alex Koronis was pounded for 5 runs on 10 hits, a walk, and 2 hit batters in just 3 innings…DH Tony Scelfo was 3-5 with a triple and 2 RBI…3B Omar Luna went 3-5 with 2 doubles and is 13-31 (.419) in 8 games since being demoted.
- West Michigan 11, BOWLING GREEN 3: George Jensen allowed 5 runs (3 earned) in 3 innings…SS Derek Dietrich was 2-4 with a double.
- HUDSON VALLEY 10, Lowell 3:
- PRINCETON 6, Kingsport 3: C Justin O’Connor was 2-4 with a walk.