The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE BAD: Pride. Or lack of it. Prior to the 9th inning last night, when Matt Joyce hit a meaningless 2-run home run, the Rays were outscored 24-1 in 20 innings. We remember thinking before this roadtrip started that there was a chance the Rays would stink up the joint despite playing inferior competition. But we didn’t want to be that negative with the season on the line. Well, our nightmare has arrived. The Rays have given up. Game. Set. Match. It would just be a little nice if they, you know, played like they cared. It is only July, and already these guys are playing like their minds are on the next tee-time or the next nightclub.
THE TELLING: The Rays demoted Jay Buente and called up Rob Delaney…The Rays have promoted 11 players from triple-A this month. ELEVEN…Reid Brignac made his first start for Durham, going 3-4…Matt Moore struck out 13 in his second triple-A start.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Jay Buente arrived at the stadium on Tuesday during the 5th inning. He started warming up in the 6th inning. He was called on to pitch the 7th inning. He met Joe Maddon for the first time at the end of that inning. And then, while sitting in the hotel bar after the game, Maddon informed him that he was being sent back to Durham. [TampaBay.com]
- So, why was BJ Upton out of the lineup for the 2nd time in 4 days? First he said there was nothing going on. Then he told teammates he had a sore quad and locked himself in the trainer’s room. But Joe Maddon said he was fine and could have played. Yep, nothing fishy here. [The Heater]
- There was a story saying Pat Burrell was going to be released today. But that story has disappeared from the interwebs. This WAS the link. [CSN]
- Looks like they had some bad info because according to Henry Schulman, the Giants are not releasing Pat Burrell. [Twitter]
- Here is an update to which draft picks the Rays have signed. [RaysProspects]
- Is BJ Upton worth the asking price? Ben Berkon says maybe. [Huffington Post]
- John Sickels breaks down Desmond Jennings. [Minor League Ball]
- Eric Karabell takes a look at Desmond Jennings from a fantasy perspective. [ESPN Insider]
- And Jason Grey takes a look at Alex Cobb from a fantasy perspective. [ESPN Insider]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM 4, Gwinnett 0: In his second triple-A start, Matt Moore tossed 8 shutout innings and tied a career-high with 13 strikeouts. He gave up 3 hits and walked 2…Reid Brignac made his first start for Durham, and went 3-4. It was just his second 3-hit game of the year.
- MONTGOMERY 4, Tennessee 0: Chris Archer had one of the best starts of the year, throwing 7 shutout innings. He only struck out 2 and walked 4…SS Tim Beckham went 0-4…RF Keyong Kang homered for the 3rd straight game, giving him 8 for the year.
- Brevard County @ CHARLOTTE: (postponed)
- Lake County 9, BOWLING GREEN 4: Jason McEachern gave up 6 runs in 5 innings. He struck out 2 and walked 2…C Luke Bailey hit his 7th home run.
- Auburn 3, HUDSON VALLEY 1: Ryan Carpenter a 7th round pick in this year’s draft made his first start, pitching 5 hitless innings, striking out 3 and walking 1.
- Pulaski 6, PRINCETON 5: RF Drew Vettleson had 3 hits including 2 doubles and 2 RBI.