The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Jeremy Hellickson. Hey, we’ll take 7 innings of 2-run ball anytime against the Yankees. 7 strikeouts and just 1 walk is the Hellickson that we love…McGee and Peralta. Not exactly the 8th and 9th inning duo that you would have envisioned a week ago, but they got the job done. Jake McGee and Joel Peralta allowed just 1 single in 2 innings, and that runner was erased on a double play…The Roof. It is not often that we see a ball lost in the roof background. But it happened last night. With 2 on and 1 out, Justin Ruggiano hit a lazy flyball to center that Curtis Granderson lost. The ball fell, the runners advanced and eventually the Rays would score 2 runs and take the lead.
THE BAD: Joe Maddon. There is not enough room here. We will have more shortly.
THE TELLING: Andy Sonnanstine started for the Durham Bulls last night. Matt Moore will start Friday night.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Dane de la Rosa was called up to take Alex Torres’ spot in the bullpen.
- Matt Joyce pinch hit and might be able to start tonight…Jose Lobaton had an MRI and there is no tear in his knee. [TampaBay.com]
- Does it make sense to keep the Yankees and Red Sox in the same division. [Business Insider]
- Justin Ruggiano caught the final out of the game and then acted like he was going to throw the ball into the stands, but didn’t. Was he messing with the fans, or did he have second-thoughts based on what happened to Josh Hamilton? We did learn afterwards that Ruggiano handed the ball to Joel Peralta, so maybe he just had second-thoughts about what to do with the ball. [Video]
- Yesterday we told you about Evan Longoria’s public plea to the US women’s soccer team. Shortly after that, Alex Morgan appeared to accept. [Twitter]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Rochester 3, DURHAM 2: Andy Sonnanstine gave up 2 runs in 6 innings, striking out 2 and walking 3…DH Desmond Jennings was 1-4…CF Brandon Guyer went 1-4…1B Dan Johnson was 3-4 with a double.
- MONTGOMERY: (no games scheduled)
- CHARLOTTE 9, Lakeland 0: Merrill Kelly tossed 6 shutout innings lowering his ERA to 3.07…SS Hak-Ju Lee had a multi-hit game (surprise!) going 2-5…2B Tyler Bortnick was 0-2 but drew 2 walks and stole 2 bases giving him 30 on the season.
- BOWLING GREEN: (no games scheduled)
- Staten Island 3, HUDSON VALLEY 2 (gm 1): SS Juniel Querecuto had one of the Renegades 3 hits, a double, and he drove in both runs.
- HUDSON VALLEY 6, Staten Island 2 (gm 2): 1B Jeff Malm hit his 8th home run in 29 games. He also added a double and drove in 4.
- PRINCETON 5, Johnson City 3: CF Ryan Brett and DH Junior Rodriguez each hit their first home runs of the season.