The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Desmond Jennings. He hit his first big league home run. That was nice. But what we loved was how he reacted. He knew the ball was gone. It was a no-doubter. But watch his first few steps out of the box. Dude is booking. And before he even looks up, he slows into a home run trot. There are some guys on the team that could learn from that…But More Importantly. The Jennings home run was nice, but that just made the game 5-2. Still a blowout. The bigger hit was his single in the 7-run 7th inning. It was Jennings’ single that gave the Rays a 6-5 lead…Big Dub. Wade Davis gave up 5 runs before there were two outs in the first inning and it didn’t look good. But then he settled down. He struck out the final two batters in the first. Those were the first two of 17 straight batters that Davis would retire before being pulled from the game in the 7th inning.
THE BAD: Wavis. Evil Wade allowed 6 straight batters to reach base in the first inning. Eventually, five of them would score and the game looked over early.
THE TELLING: Mike Ekstrom was called up for yesterday’s game, replacing Rob Delaney. And the carousel continues…The Cubs face the Cardinals today, and the starting pitchers will be Matt Garza and Edwin Jackson.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- The Rays made a trade! They sent Felipe Lopez (you forgot he was still in the organization didn’t you) to the Brewers for cash, in order to pay for all those plane tickets between Durham and the west coast.
- The Pirates have Casey Kotchman on their wishlist. [Twitter]
- If it means anything, Joe Maddon and BJ Upton think there won’t be a trade. What else were they supposed to say? [The Heater]
- Does Matt Moore tip his pitches? Better to find out now. [Rays Prospects]
- Are the Bucs really players for Nnamdi Asomugha? [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Gwinnett 2, DURHAM 0: Alex Torres tossed 5.2 shutout innings, striking out 3…SS Reid Brignac went 0-2 with 2 walks.
- MONTGOMERY 5, Tennessee 1: Shane Dyer only allowed 1 run in 6 innings…SS Tim Beckham went 3-4, but did commit 2 errors, his 16th and 17th.
- CHARLOTTE 3, Brevard Co. 2 (gm 1): Kyle Lobstein gave up 1 run in 5.1 innings on 5 hits and 1 walk. He struck out 3…SS Hak-Ju Lee was 0-3 but did have his 26th steal…2B Tyler Bortnick went 1-2 with a walk and 2 stolen bases. He now has 33 on the season.
- CHARLOTTE 3, Brevard Co. 2 (gm 2): CJ Riefenhauser gave up 2 runs in 4.1 innings…SS Hak-Ju Lee went 0-3 with a walk.
- Lake County 5, BOWLING GREEN 4:
- HUDSON VALLEY 3, Auburn 1:
- PRINCETON 7, Pulaski 5: Drew Vettleson (5) and Cameron Seitzer (7) homered for the Rays.