[Update] And now, about an hour later, Jen Royle refutes her own story with another tweet. This time she has it from a Phillies source that the Fightins have “no interest in BJ Upton. NONE.”

[12:12]According to Jen Royle (via Twitter), the Phillies are the newest contender in the BJ Upton sweepstakes. She adds that the Nationals are still interested.

Source: Friedman & Amaro are trying to work out a deal for BJ Upton… Nats interest still high

“Trying to work out a deal” sounds like hardcore negotiations. But what may be negotiations in the eyes of one observer may actually just be the Rays answering the phone when Phillies GM Ruben Amaro calls. We’ll have to wait and see.

Royle does add later that the Rays have expressed interest in rookie right fielder Dominic Brown, who is hitting .247 with 5 home runs and 3 stolen bases. Last year, in 93 games combined between double-A and triple-A, Brown hit .327 with 20 home runs, 17 steals and a .391 OBP.

1. Blake says:

If Friedman pulled off an Upton trade that got us Dominic Brown, my head my explode.

In any case, this only serves to drive up what the Nats are offering as well.

In Friedman We Trust.

2. Sarah says:

And Royle knows this…how?

No disrespect for her, but sometimes I think folks tweet these rumors just to get some traffic their way. Call me when a deal is done.

• pete says:

This same reporter just reported that Upton is a Washington National

• Beth says:

And now says that Phillies have no interest in Upton.

It’s got to be rough being BJ this week. For once I won’t blame him if he seems unfocused. And here’s asking the geniuses of the baseball media world to keep their fingers off their Blackberries until they have an actual deal to report.

3. Joe says:

Past few years, I have heard a lot of comparisons between Jennings and Brown. If Rays wind up with both, wow

4. phil says:

hello? hello? The phillies have 2 first baseman in their farm system …Rizzo in AAA and Singleton in high A ? Both are power hitters and could aslo DH!

5. Matt says:

I can’t see the Phils dealing Brown for Upton. However, the phils do have a catcher who is one of their top prospects and like Phil mentioned they have Singleton who has good power and can play 1st and can DH.

6. Michael says:

I don’t care who takes him, as long as someone does.

7. Rob says:

Look at the first related link. Ws get excited every year that the Rays will try to make a big trade and they rarely do. Their goal is to shed payroll AND get better in the same transaction. Better usually points to the future and shedding payroll points to now. More than likely nothing big happens or we trade Upton for prospects you never heard of. In other words you will probably be disappointed about a week from now.

8. Rob says:

When I say future I don’t mean next year. This team is going to have to take a couple of years to rebuild. I think third place is where we will live the next two to three years. That might get us one playoff look if they expand to a second wildcard. Just don’t expect a highly coveted guy like Dominic Brown or a front line catching prospect for Upton. This team has to play small ball in the front office too.

9. Jon L. says:

Upton has all the tools to be great, but no tool box.