There has been a lot of hub-bub over the spat between Brian Anderson and Dewayne Staats last Saturday night. When we heard this live, we didn’t think much of it. But with the columns in the local papers, and the bro-hug two nights ago, we thought we should go back and give it a second listen.

And we still aren’t sure what the big deal is. Was it a little animated? Sure. But these guys will work more than 150 games together this season. If they didn’t have an occasional lovers quarrel, we would be worried.

Let’s set the stage: It is the fifth inning in Kansas City, and BJ Upton is up after back-to-back doubles by Ben Zobrist and Evan Longoria have tied the game 2-2. The count is 3-2 and BJ takes a pitch that is wayyyy outside. Here is the plot that shows it is about four inches off the plate.

Honestly, this is one of the worst called strikes we have seen in a plot and BJ had about three that night.

So he was pissed. But BJ also

has a reputation with umpires for complaining. And they clearly don’t appreciate it.

Here is the conversation that followed between BA and Staats (click the arrow). Oh, and we apologize, the first 20 seconds are really loud. But it settles down after that…

ROYAL RUMBLE: BA vs Staats

It is certainly heated. And the occasional laughs sound forced to try and hide the anger. And maybe the most telling part is that two more outs occur during the conversation and they never discuss what is going on in the game. Keep in mind, it is a 2-2 game at this point and plays are happening without any commentary.

Still, not the worst disagreement we have ever heard. And hardly one that anybody should make too big a deal out of. But considering the normally good-natured personalities of both gentlemen, it was unusual to hear.

1. Tone says:

Thank you for this. I live in Japan, so all I get in road games is the home teams commentary. Very funny and cool. Thanks again.

2. Joe says:

Did he kinda call out BA at the end there? Not only does he probably anger him by getting the last word but the way he said “it doesnt hurt to prepare whether your a hitter or a PITCHER” ouch banks. That was entertaining during this ugly road trip though.

3. Scot says:

The issue here is not that the two disagreed, disagreements make the telecast interesting, but rather on what was clearly a pointless argument. Staats’s position is the weaker of the two and he failed to provide any argument of substance to support it. Rather he continued to simply state the same claim repeatedly.

While watching the game, I became so irritated with Staats that I switched feeds. And for the last couple nights I have watched the Oakland feeds, which turned out to be useful. For example, the Oakland announcers are exceedingly impressed with Jennings and joked that with him on first, he could score on a bunt.

I fail to see how people support Staats. Far too often he simply mimics tired cliches – many that have been strongly dismissed via data. He clearly dislikes Upton and makes asinine statements. For example, he states Jennings is fast because of his effort. His analysis of defense includes, “anyone can see that so-and-so is a much better defender”. No Dwayne, that is the problem with defense – patterns are difficult to discern. That is how fielding sieves like Jeter can win Gold Gloves. And Jason Bartlett was no fielding superstar. I suspect the data driven Rays’ management find Staats incredibly annoying.

While I’m not a big fan of BA, compared to the average support announcer (think Kevin Kennedy), at least he adds content of interest. I trust his claims about pitching, but are wary about his contributions on hitting.

I urge any reader of this blog to watch the opposing feeds. If in the end you prefer Staats, at least you are better educated. ( I wish Staats was. ) At worse, you can laugh your head off when you hear Ken “Hawk” Harrelson for the White Sox.

• Adam says:

bartlett is one billion times better than jeter any day, jeter lives off of every one elses efforts, if i could buy a baseball team, he would be my three thousandth pick, what a joke!

4. Ro says:

WoW!!! Hahaha! Thanks for putting this up. I feel very lucky to only listen to Dave and Andy. ;)

Have to say I agree with BA. Though it’s a good point about BJ constantly arguing. But, you can’t expand your strike zone just to satisfy different umps. That’s a stupid argument, to me anyway.

5. John says:

I didn’t hear this live, but it seems pretty ‘meh’ as far as arguments go.

6. Rays fan says:

I love watching my Rays play on tv, but there are times where I have to change the channel because of Staats. He is an incredible tool sometimes. His baseball knowledge is mediocre at best and his commentary is even worse.

That being said, I really enjoy what BA brings to the show.

Go Rays!

7. zenny says:

Dwayne and Bryan are one of the best TV tandems in MLB, imo. This argument was really uncomfortable live, glad they had a make-up hug.

Blame it on the frustration of watching the Rays try to hit.

8. Dave says:

Based on the same topic – what was the gig in Oakland when Staats shows up with a sign saying “I’m with Stupid” and the arrow pointing at BA?

Never did hear what the spat was all about.

BA was not happy.

9. CCON says:

The Rays suck along with their bandwagon fans pathethic fan base and the worst announcers in baseball where the hell were all the fans before 2008 i rest my case period.