For the few of you that were unlucky enough to stay up until 2:00 in the morning hoping the Red Sox would just give the Rays a run, you saw an offensive show of anemic proportions. Here are a few more numbers from the futility…

• Prior to last night, only three teams in baseball history* had played at least 16 innings and had less than six hits. The Rays and Red Sox both did it last night.
  • The Rays are the first team in baseball history to play at least 16 innings and have less than 4 hits.
  • The two teams combined to go 8-102. That translates to an .078 batting average.
  • While the Red Sox did manage 12 walks, the Rays only drew 1 walk in the 16 innings. That was just the 35th time in baseball history that a team played at least 16 innings and drew less than 2 walks.
  • The Red Sox 12 walks was just the ninth time in baseball history that a team had at least 12 walks and scored less than 2 runs.
  • Jeff Niemann and Josh Beckett combined for the best performance of the year by opposing starting pitchers. The two combined for a Game Score of 172.
  • The games lasted 5 hours and 44 minutes. That is the longest game (based on time) in Rays history.

*For the sake of boxscores and data, “baseball history” means “since 1919.”

1. Rob says:

Like I said, the Rays seem to always be on the wrong side of a good/unbelievable baseball story. Whether it is a hall of famer getting his 3000th hit as a homerun and going 5-5 on the day with the GWRBI, or a traded away pitcher no-hitting his former team for what will likely be his only career no-hitter, or a relatively unknown pitcher no-hitting the Rays weeks after scuffling with A-Rod about running over his mound. The stories go on and on – the Rays haven’t been the good part of a good story since the 2008 ALCS. I think their string bad stories started with the crappy weather in Philly and the debacle postponement of game 4 in the ’08 WS and hasn’t stopped since.

The ESPN announcers were making the Rays the butt of their jokes from about the 7th innning on. How many times did they laugh at the impotent hitting from the Rays? Joking about how fast their half of the innings go, or that if the Red Sox don’t score the game is automatically going another inning. The worst part is that they were right. This team is a joke on the national stage. The lack of fans are a joke. The stadium is a joke. Their hitting is a joke.

I was there Saturday and had to go to the Brew House just to get away from the Boston fans – we were surrounded. We have tickets to Tuesday’s game and I don’t even want to go. I am tired of going to games in which they can’t score any runs and the Rays fans are outnumbered. Did you see the how many people were cheering with puggy got that RBI in the 16th?

We’ve had a season-ticket package for several years now, and I don’t think I am going to renew. I should have gone to see Harry Potter this weekend instead.

2. angrybuddha says:

We can focus on the fact that we can’t hit… or we can look at the fact that our rebuilt bullpen more or less shut the Red Sox down over 8 innings. That’s a ridiculously good lineup and *they* couldn’t score against *us*.

I prefer to see this as half-full.

The fact is that this team is not one that will score a lot of runs or get a lot of hits. We know what we are. When we win, we win low-scoring games. We win by keeping the other guy down (great pitching, great defense) and scratching out just enough runs.

I am going to enjoy the rest of this season for the positives – the top halves of home innings – rather than focusing on the negatives.

• Sarah says:

Great advice. You’ve obviously achieved a level of zen tranquility that few of us can approach. Before each game I tell myself I will appreciate the positives and not obsess about the negatives, and usually by the 6th inning I’m throwing things at the TV.So what’s your secret?

• angrybuddha says:

Nothing out of the ordinary, Sarah… I just keep reminding myself that “This is who we are. This is who we are. This is who we are. This is who we are. This is who we are. This is who we are. This is who we are.”

And Rob is right – we’re historically bad on offense. But… “This is who we are. This is who we are. This is who we are. This is who we are. This is who we are. This is who we are.”

And we’ve been shut our 9 times (in 39 games) since June 1, but we’re a game over .500 over that stretch. If we researched it, my guess is that we’d find that a team that gets shut out 25% of the time tends not to have a winning record. But the Rays? We are… “This is who we are. This is who we are. This is who we are. This is who we are. This is who we are. This is who we are. This is who we are. This is who we are. This is who we are.”

• Sarah says:

Wow, I like that and I’ll work on it. But what about the voice that keeps chiming through saying, “I don’t like who we are” or “who we are sucks” or “why could who we are break through for 9 runs last night and not get more than 1 lousy hit today”?

But I digress. “this is who we are….this is who we are…” I think it’s working!

• Rob says:

It’s not that this team can’t hit or score runs – it’s that they can’t do either of those in a historical way. And it’s not like these things are anomalies – they are occurring with more and more frequency.

I agree, if we can scratch across a run or two and give our guys a chance then I could see the glass as half full too. But they have been shutout 9 times since June 1. That is nine games in a month and a half in which our pitchers didn’t even have a chance.

3. Zac says:

How about BJ Upton being 0-6 seeing only 11 pitches! I mean Brigniac was also 0-6 but at least he worked the count and saw 34

• Sublime says:

Zac:

Are you kidding me? The team manages a hit, not 5 hits, A HIT, through 9 innings and you’re talking about BJ and a pitch count? God help us all!