The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Kyle Farnsworth. The Rays non-closer came on to do something that last year’s actual closer never did: A 4-out save. In the 8th, with 2 outs and the game very much still in doubt, the Marlins put the tying run on base. Farnsworth got a pop-out to end the inning and then cruised through a 1-2-3 9th…Unlikely Power. Two of the Rays worst hitters this season came through last night. Sean Rodriguez started the scoring with a 2-run home run and later added some insurance with a 2-run double in the 8th. Kelly Shoppach swings hard. Most of the time he misses. But last night he guessed right and delivered a solo home run…Wade Davis. Meh. He beat a team he should beat. He only struck out 2, and he gave up 6 hits and 2 walks in 6 innings. But he only allowed 1 run.
THE BAD: Evan Longoria. Is he healthy? He had a single last night. But that was just his second hit in the last 6 games. And to make matters worse, he injured is foot trying to get back to first base in the 8th inning (although Joe Maddon says it is just sore).
THE TELLING: Another lefty and another night on the bench for Matt Joyce. He did pinch-hit once the starter was out of the game. Joyce has only started 4 of the last 8 games. Is that an All-Star?…Alex Cobb will likely be demoted back to triple-A following tonight’s start. Jeff Niemann is likely to start Monday…Bullpen coach Bobby Ramos was back in the bullpen after missing several games with Bronchitis.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- The Rays signed two of their supplemental round draft picks. [Baseball America]
- Joe Maddon likes the idea of realignment. [TBO.com]
- Former Rays outfielder Joey Gathright is now playing for the same independent league team managed by Jose Canseco. [Twitter]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM 8, Gwinnett 5: Dirk Hayhurst allowed 4 runs in 5.1 innings…Jake McGee gave up 1 run in 1.1 innings, striking out 2…CF Desmond Jennings was 2-4 with a walk…RF Brandon Guyer had 3 hits including a double and his 10th home run. He drove in 4 and is now hitting .324…C Robinson Chirinos was 3-4 with 2 RBI.
- MONTGOMERY 6, Mobile 5: Chris Archer worked 7 innings for the first time this season, striking out 6 and walking 1. He allowed 3 runs…SS Tim Beckham was 2-3 with his 5th home run and a walk to raise his average to .310.
- CHARLOTTE: (no games scheduled)
- BOWLING GREEN 7, South Bend 2: CJ Riefenhauser worked 7 innings for the third straight game, striking out 8 and walking just 1…Phil Wunderlich doubled, homered and drove in 5…SS Derek Dietrich went 0-5 with 2 Ks.
- Aberdeen 7, HUDSON VALLEY 2: Short-season Hudson Valley played their first game last night.