The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: David Price. King David brought the nasty stuff yesterday striking out 10, walking just 1 and giving up just 2 runs in 8 innings. And how good was the “stuff”? His 105th pitch was 97 and his 120th (and last) pitch was 96…Wait. Who Hit Home Runs? Baseball is a funny game sometimes. What do you think the odds are that Elliot Johnson and Kelly Choppach would hit home runs in the same game. Gotta be one in a crazillion-billion, right?
THE BAD: Overly Aggressive Baserunning. The Rays were picked off twice yesterday. That gives them 19 for the season, second-worst in baseball, behind only the Royals (21). So, is the aggressive style costing the Rays? No. But it isn’t helping either. According to Fangraphs.com the Rays baserunning has been worth 2.2 runs this season. That is 5th in the AL. Not bad. But not that great for a team that depends on their baserunning to overcome other deficiencies.
THE TELLING: JP Howell returned to St. Pete because of a foot injury. Both Howell and Joe Maddon don’t think the injury will require a DL stint. Of course, if the Rays think The Dude could use a couple of weeks at Charlotte to work on his mechanics, he might not have a choice…The Brewers drew 39,632 fans for a mid-week, afternoon game. Joe Maddon said the atmosphere had a “good vibe.” We admit. We’re a little jealous.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- David Price on his walk as a batter: “Is it true chicks dig the 4 ball counts (aka walks)?!?! If so I gooooottt one!!!” [Twitter]
- Dave Scheiber writes about what Casey Kotchman has meant for the Rays this season. [Fox Sports Florida]
- Not a lot of Rays on this list of the Bay Area’s future hall-of-famers. [TampaBay.com]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM 9, Buffalo 3: Dirk Hayhurst worked 4 innings, and gave up 2 runs. He struck out 3 and walked 3…Jake McGee faced 4 batters, striking out 3. The 4th batter hit a double…RF Desmond Jennings doubled and walked in 5 plate appearances…1B Dan Johnson hit his 3rd home run, a 3-run shot…C Jose Lobaton hit his 8th home run and added 2 singles…DH Robinson Chirinos had a double and a walk in 4 times to the plate.
- MONTGOMERY: (no games scheduled)
- St. Lucie 7, CHARLOTTE 5: Kyle Lobstein was pounded for 5 runs in 5 innings on 8 hits and 2 walks. He struck out 2…SS Hak-Ju Lee was 1-5 with a double…2B Tyler Bortnick went 2-5 to get his average up to .300.
- BOWLING GREEN: (no games scheduled)
- Staten Island @ HUDSON VALLEY: (postponed)
- PRINCETON 6, Burlington 3: LF Josh Sale went 0-3 with a walk and 2 strikeouts…RF Drew Vettleson was 0-4…C Justin O’Connor went 0-4 with 3 strikeouts.
Elliot Johnson (via TampaBay.com)
David Price (via TampaBay.com)