The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Joe Maddon. When Maddon gets the heave-ho, he always seems to get his money’s worth in F-bombs (as this clip indicates)…BJ Upton. Beej has been erratic with the arm this year. But he had the Cobra on display last night, nailing a runner at home in the first. How often do you see a throw from center hit the mound and take a bad bounce? That is because not many center fielders have Upton’s arm. And unlike Justin Ruggiano in the 7th, this runner was actually out.
THE BAD: Overtime Unneeded. This game only went to overtime after a terrible blown call at home plate on a sac fly in the 7th inning. Justin Ruggiano was blocked off the plate, but avoided the tag and yet was still called out…Stuck in the Mud. Elliot Johnson was picked off in the 3rd. And Sam Fuld was caught trying to get into scoring position in the 9th. Both of those you don’t like, but they happen. Especially Fuld in the 9th. That was the right play. You want to be in scoring position with 2 outs. But you cannot get caught stealing third base with one out and Evan Longoria at the plate. And yet that is exactly what Justin Ruggiano did in the 4th inning. Rookie mistake. Huge rookie mistake.
THE TELLING: That was Joe Maddon’s third ejection of the year…Matt Joyce was out of the lineup for the 2nd straight day…Jeff Niemann will make one more rehab start today, so look for Alex Cobb to make one more start for the Rays before being sent down.
RANDOM THOUGHTS: We stand and applaud Todd Kalas on a job well done during his stint in the TV booth during Brian Anderson’s vacation. We love Anderson in the booth. And someday (soon, we hope) Kalas will get a well deserved booth job. And while we will be happy when it happens, we also know we will miss him terribly.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Bill Moloney, the double-A pitching coach, who was shot a week ago in a mugging attempt, was back in the dugout last night. [Montgomery Advertiser]
- Cory Wade, who was released by the Rays on Sunday, has already signed with the Yankees on a minor league deal. It will be fun facing him at some point this season (no, no it won’t). [MLBTR]
- One of the Rays’ second-round picks, Granden Goetzman, is expected to sign today. [Prep Rally]
- The Rays have already signed 19 late-round draft picks. Typically, college players without any leverage are the first to sign and anxious to prove themselves. [Rays Prospects]
- Will you boo or cheer Carl Crawford? Do you care? [TampaBay.com]
- The new sports anchor at WTSP is a Yankees fan? [Twitter]
- Peter King takes a needless shot at the Rays for some unknown reason: “Somehow I’m guessing the Tampa Bay Rays don’t have braised cauliflower and short-rib-filled ravioli and ziti and salmon in a light lemon cream sauce at their pregame spread.” [SI.com]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM 4, Norfolk 1: Chris Bootcheck, pitched 7 strong innings, allowing just 1 run on 3 hits and no walks. He struck out 4…RF Desmond Jennings was 0-4…CF Brandon Guyer went 3-4 with a triple, an RBI and his 10th steal. He is hitting .322…2B JJ Furmaniak hit his 2nd home run…3B Russ Canzler added 3 hits to raise his average to .292. He also stole 2 bases.
- MONTGOMERY 2, Jacksonville 1: Tim Beckham’s 2-run double in the 8th inning proved to be the game-winner. It was his only hit…Shane Dyer allowed just 1 run in 7 innings on 8 hits and 1 walk. He struck out 1.
- CHARLOTTE @ Palm Beach: (postponed)
- BOWLING GREEN: (no games scheduled)