The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: David Price. Step aside young padawan Jeremy. David is still the master. Price, who has thrown about 74% fastballs all season long, apparently knows something about the Angels. In his last start against the Angels, he threw 70.3% fastballs. A little less than normal, but not extreme. But last night, he threw only 58% fastballs which resulted in 7 strikeouts and no walks in 7 innings with just 1 run allowed…Justin Ruggiano. With BJ Upton out with a stomach bug, Ruggy stepped in and delivered an RBI-single in the first and a 2-run home run in the 6th.
THE BAD: Sean Rodriguez. This is the one player we don’t get. He has a major league swing, and he is hitting .213. Last night he was 0-4 with 3 Ks. Even BJ Upton is less confusing of a talent.
THE TELLING: Both Evan Longoria and BJ Upton were scratched from the lineup with the stomach flu…Johnny Damon has now reached base in 32 straight games.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Lance Cormier, who was released last week by the Dodgers, has signed a minor league deal with the Rays. To make room, the Rays released pitcher Edgar Gonzalez. [The Heater]
- Here is a look at the Rays draft war room. [TwitPic]
- RJ Harrison and Andrew Friedman talk about their first night of the draft. [TampaBay.com]
- And if you missed it last night, Andrew Friedman had a Verizon moment. [Rays Index]
- Those Smokers throwback jerseys we told you about? We forgot to mention that those will be worn on July 2 against the Cardinals. Makes sense with the Cardinals in town for just the second time after so many years using St. Pete as a spring home.
- Jake Hager is anxious to get his pro career started. [TampaBay.com]
- Joe Maddon thinks JP Howell just needs more work…that’s fine. But can it be when the game is not on the line? K? thanks. [TBO.com]
- We have seen these estimates before, but here is a reminder of how much this draft will cost the Rays. [Bloomberg]
- Matt Joyce did a photoshoot for ESPN the Magazine. [TampaBay.com]
- Kyle Lobstein was named the FSL pitcher of the week. [Claw Digest]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Pawtucket 11, DURHAM 3: Edgar Gonzalez, who was released after the game, gave up 7 runs in 5 innings…RF Desmond Jennings went 204 with a double…C Jose Lobaton was 2-3 with his 6th home run.
- MONTGOMERY 15, Mississippi 2: Chris Archer picked up just his second win, holding the Braves to 2 runs on 4 hits and 2 walks in 6 innings. He struck out 4, but his ERA is still 5.68…SS Tim Beckham had 3 hits, including 2 doubles, driving in 3. He is hitting .294…C Stephen Vogt was 1-3 with a walk and 2 RBI.
- Bradenton 4, CHARLOTTE 0: Jake Thompson allowed just 1 run, but dropped to 0-3. He worked 4 innings, giving up 2 hits and 3 walks, striking out just 1…SS Hak-Ju Lee did not play…2B Tyler Bortnick went 2-4 with a double.
- BOWLING GREEN: (no games scheduled)