The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Hellboy Cometh Again. Hellickson pitched brilliantly again, holding the M’s scoreless for 7 innings. He was charged with 1 run in the 8th, striking out 4, walking 1 and giving up just 3 hits. In his last 6 starts, he has allowed just 6 runs in 40.1 innings (1.34 ERA).
THE BAD: Joel Peralta. Peralta has been less than automatic recently. In his last 10 outings, he has given up at least 1 run in 5 of those appearances. Over that span, he has given up 6 runs in 12 innings on 6 hits and 6 walks with just 5 walks. And yesterday he made things interesting in the 8th inning when he gave up a 2-run home run to bring the Mariners within 1 run.
THE TELLING: Evan Longoria left the game in the 4th inning with tightness “in his side” (that’s where the oblique is located). However, Longoria says he feels well enough that he hopes to play today…Casey Kotchman was back in the lineup after missing 5 games…
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- It’s official, Andy Sonnanstine is now out of the rotation and Alex Cobb is in. At least until Jeff Niemann returns (about 2 weeks). [TampaBay.com]
- Ken Rosenthal thinks the Rays will be buyers at the deadline and feels they will ask about Jose Reyes, but doubts they’ll be willing to part with the necessary prospects. [MLBTR]
- A couple of weeks ago we pointed out that Matt Joyce’s success was tied to being more aggressive, but only within the strikezone. Apparently that was the plan all along. Joe Maddon: “…if he continues to swing at strikes and lay off bad pitches, it’s going to stay this way for a while.” [TampaBay.com]
- Evan Longoria talks about his injury “scare.” [TBO.com]
- Another day. Another disturbing picture of Bobby Ramos. [The Heater]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Pawtucket 7, DURHAM 1: Dirk Hayhurst returned from the DL and gave up 4 runs in 4.1 innings. He struck out 3 and walked 1…Mike Ekstrom struck out 5 of the 7 batters he faced in 2 innings…CF Desmond Jenningswent 0-4 with 2 Ks…RF Brandon Guyer had 2 singles to raise his average to .324…C Jose Lobaton went 0-4 with 2 strikeouts.
- Mississippi 11, MONTGOMERY 3: Nick Barnese gave up 5 runs (4 earned) in 4 innings. He struck out 2 and walked 3. The 3-run home run off Barnese in the first gave Mississippi a lead they would never relinquish…SS Tim Beckham was 1-5 and committed his 9th error…DH Stephen Vogt doubled and tripled in 5 at bats.
- CHARLOTTE 8, Bradenton 0: Kyle Lobstein struck out 5 in 7 shutout innings. He retired the first 11 batters he faced and 21 of 22 overall. He allowed just 1 hit and no walks…SS Hak-Ju Lee was 2-4 with a walk…2B Tyler Bortnick was 0-4 with a walk…C Mark Thomas homered for the second straight game, his 5th.
- Beloit 5, BOWLING GREEN 2: George Jensen, not to be confused with George Jetson, gave up 2 runs in 4.2 innings, striking out 5 and walking 2…SS Derek Dietrichwas 0-4 and CF Cody Rogers went 1-5 with 3 strikeouts.