The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Evan Longoria. Dirtbag was quick to go back to the gloves. And the result was his 3rd career trot-off home run. When asked about the gloves after the game, Longoria said “they’re off and on. You just gotta ride the wave.” We have no idea what that means, but it sounds like something our stoner roommate in college would say. Later he would add that he had to wear the gloves because his “hands were hurting too much.” Gee, who saw that coming?…David Price. Dude was dealing. 117 pitches. 93 fastballs, averaging 96 mph and topping out at 98. And just as impressive was his changeup. He only threw the change 14 times, but he got 13 strikes including 5 swinging strikes.
THE BAD: Kyle Farnsworth. Well, you knew he was due for one of those. And don’t look now, but the Rays best bet to actually play in the All-Star game, has given up runs in 5 of his last 8 appearances. In his first 28 games, he was charged with a run just 3 times.
THE TELLING: Attendance was 20,894 on a Tuesday night. That was even better than Monday night. What the H-E-DoubleHockeySticks is going on around here!?!…David Price’s changeup averaged 84 mph last night and reached 86. On the season, Andy Sonnanstine’s fastball has averaged 85 mph. Or at least that is the fastest pitch he throws…Durham was rained out, but word on the street was that Desmond Jennings was not in the lineup for the third night in a row.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- The two faces of David Price. Have you ever seen an athlete that could go from complete goofball to distant, quiet, want-to-be-left-alone on gameday quicker than King David? [620 WDAE]
- Scroll down on this page to see a chart that shows the Rays run differential at this point in the season, is at its worst mark in the last 4 years. [WDBB]
- Here is a fun interview with Dirk Hayhurst. [WUNC]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM @ Charlotte: (postponed)
- Mobile 9, MONTGOMERY 8: Nick Barnese allowed 6 runs (3 earned) in 4 innings on 9 hits and 2 walks…SS Tim Beckham was 1-2 with a double and 2 walks….1B Henry Wrigley hit his 4th home run, a grand slam.
- Fort Myers 9, CHARLOTTE 8: Merrill Kelly walked 6 in just 3.2 innings, leading to 4 runs…SS Hak-Ju Lee was 2-4 with a walk.
- BOWLING GREEN 8, Great Lakes 6: Wilking Rodriguez allowed 3 runs in 4.2 innings…1B Phil Wunderlich was 3-4 with a pair of doubles and 2 RBI…RF Cody Rogers was 2-4 with his 19th and 20th stolen bases…SS Derek Dietrich was 0-4 with a walk.
- Staten Island 11, HUDSON VALLEY 9:
- PRINCETON @ Danville: (postponed)
Evan Longoria (via TampaBay.com)