The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Jeremy Hellickson. We have always hated the excuse, “one bad pitch.” Usually that means the pitcher failed at the most crucial moment. But outside of Hellboy’s one bad pitch, he was brilliant last night. After a 1-out single in the first that was erased by a double-play, Hellickson retired 16 of the next 17 batters and didn’t give up his 2nd hit until the 7th. We’ll take that against the Sox anytime…Reid Brignac. One hit. One stinking hit, and that came from the #9 hitter. The top 8 hitters in the lineup were 0-25 with no walks. The Rays only hit in the game was a 2-out infield single by Briggy Baseball in the 3rd inning.
THE BAD: Kevin Youkilis. 3-run home run. No hit-by-pitches. The end.
THE TELLING: Brian Anderson was very candid during the game in recalling a time when he was told to hit a batter on purpose. Here is the boxscore from the game. Anderson didn’t say it was the only time he beaned a hitter. Just the only time he was told to hit a batter (it was his second season). Hope he can’t be suspended retroactively.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Casey Kotchman takes the high road, believes Kevin Youkilis didn’t spike him on purpose. [The Heater]
- Bullpen coach Bobby Ramos missed his fourth straight game with an undetermined illness. [TampaBay.com]
- Gary Shelton writes about all of the good that was seen in Jeremy Hellickson last night. [TampaBay.com]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM: (no games scheduled)
- MONTGOMERY 5, Mobile 3: Nick Barnese allowed 3 runs (1 earned) in 6.1 innings. He only struck out 2 while walking 4…Matt Bush struck out 2 of the 7 batters he faced in 1.2 innings…SS Tim Beckham doubled for his only hit in 4 at bats…CF John Shelby hit his 8th home run, a solo shot.
- CHARLOTTE 5, Bradenton 4: Kyle Lobstein gave up 3 runs in 5 innings, 2 on a home run. He struck out 1…SS Hak-Ju Lee went 3-5 to raise his average to .353. He also stole 2 bases and has 20 steals this season…The Stone Crabs stole 8 bases.
- BOWLING GREEN 1, West Michigan 0: Braulio Lara tossed 6 shutout innings, striking out 7 and walking just 2…The Hot Rods managed just 3 hits, but LF Cody Rogers doubled to lead off the 4th and would later score on a sac fly by 1B Todd Wunderlich for the only run of the game.
Jeremy Hellickson (via TampaBay.com)