The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: David Price. Yes, he got pounded and was out of the game after 5 innings. But when the right situation presented itself (first base open), he plunked Kevin Youkilis. And now we know that the Rays were just blowing smoke when they said Youkilis spiking Casey Kotchman was unintentional. And just in case you want to watch Youk getting spanked, over and over, this is for you…Casey At The Bat. Lucky. This is an awfully long lucky streak. Casey Kotchman homered and is now hitting .339.
THE BAD: David Price. One of those nights. Price can get away without his best stuff against the Blue Jays, but not against the Red Sox. It took him 106 pitches just to get through 5 innings as he walked 5 and allowed 3 runs. Guess we can take away that “Big Game” nickname. Oh wait. Nevermind…The Non-Closer Non-Save. Let’s ignore for a second that Kyle Farnsworth is not the official closer (he is). We have ALWAYS hated using closers in non-save situations. There is something about the intensity of the save that leads to closers letting up in non-save situations (queue 3,000 words on why this is not true from a website that thinks the game is played by robots). And Farnsworth was the latest casualty, giving up a home run in the top of the 9th. When the Rays got two on in the bottom of the 9th, scoring one run would have been a lot more doable than scoring two…Top O’ The Order To Nowhere. The Rays top 4 hitters in the lineup were 0-15 with 3 strikeouts and 1 walk. In the series they were 2-37 (.054) with 7 strikeouts.
THE TELLING: Matt Moore. Did you hear?…ESPN’s “Baseball Tonight” crew on the umpire warning both team after David Price hit Kevin Youkilis: “We have no idea why [the warning] happened.” *payingattentionfail*…Cory Wade tossed 2 more socreless innings for the Yankees. But yeah, the Rays bullpen was too good to fit Wade in someplace *smh*…
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Chris Carter was released by the Rays. Like Cory Wade, he likely had an opt-out date if he wasn’t yet in the majors. [Watching Durham Bulls Baseball]
- The Mets GM confirmed that he will consider signing Scott Kazmir…There is no way this will end well. [NY Post]
- I hate saying anything nice about Boston sports, but they are the new Title Town. [Business Insider]
- Our new favorite golfer. It is the Kenny Powers of the PGA. [Business Insider]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Gwinnett 10, DURHAM 2: Jay Buente was pounded for 8 runs (7 earned) in just 2.2 innings…CF Desmond Jennings was 1-5 with 3 strikeouts…1B Leslie Anderson had 2 hits including his 5th home run.
- MONTGOMERY 8, Mobile 0: Matt Moore tossed a no-hitter…LF Stephen Vogt went 3-5 and drove in 3…SS Tim Bekcham was 1-3 with a walk.
- CHARLOTTE 10, Bradenton 1: Alex Koronis gave up 1 run in 5 innings, striking out 3 and walking 1…Two more hits for SS Hak-Ju Lee who is now hitting .356…2B Tyler Bortnick hit his 3rd home run, a grand slam.
- BOWLING GREEN 5, West Michigan 2: George Jensen held West Michigan to 2 runs (1 earned) in 5 innings…RF Cody Rogers was 2-4…SS Derek Dietrich was 2-3.
The Lightning Take Batting Practice (via TampaBay.com)
Mike Smith and fellow Bolts celebrate his BP home run (via TampaBay.com)