The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Alex Cobb. The first big league win for one Alexander Miller Cobb. He held the Angels to 1 run in 6.1 innings, striking out 3 and walking none. And what was interesting, is that he did it with just 27 fastballs (out of 84 pitches). Cobb is the Bizarro Price…JP Howell. Boy were we nervous with The Dude in the game with a runner on 3rd and the tying run at the plate in the 7th. But he got two Angels to strike out swinging to end the threat and effectively end the game.
THE BAD: Briggy Baseball. We do love his glove at SS. But hey, guess who went 0-4? So which is it? Is it the 3-4 Brignac from Sunday? Or is it the 2-29 in the other 11 games out of the last 12?
THE TELLING: Evan Longoria sat out again with the LA flu…Evan Longoria is still third among AL third basemen in the all-star voting. He is already more than a half-million votes behind Alex Rodriguez…Elliot Johnson will rehab with the Durham Bulls and could be back with the Rays by the weekend.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Here is a prettier look at how long it might take the Rays top picks to reach the big leagues. [Business Insider]
- Oh boy…Rays top pick Taylor Guerrieri wouldn’t even give an interview to his hometown paper after being drafted, at the advice of his “advisors.” [TBO.com]
- Rays Prospects has info on the Rays second round picks Granden Goetzman and Lenny Linsky. Be sure to check out the rest of their posts from the last couple of days for complete draft coverage. [Rays Prospects]
- David Price is pitching a lot better this year. Just don’t look at his numbers. [TBO.com]
- Two more Stone Crabs were added to the FSL all-star squad. [Claw Digest]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM 9, Lehigh Valley 1: Brian Baker allowed just 1 unearned run in 6 innings, striking out 6 and walking 2. He has now allowed just 1 earned run in his last 13 innings…CF Desmond Jennings was 2-5 with a triple…3B Russ Canzler hit his 7th home run, a grand slam in the first inning…C Robinson Chirinos had maybe his best game at the plate, going 4-5 with 2 RBI. His average is all the way up to .263.
- MONTGOMERY 7, Mississippi 4: Paul Phillips struck out 3 and walked none in 4.2 innings. He allowed 2 runs…SS Tim Beckham was 2-3 with a walk to raise his average to .299…CF John Shelby hit his 7th home run.
- CHARLOTTE: (no game scheduled)
- Kane County 3, BOWLING GREEN 0: Enny Romero struck out 11 in 6 innings but took the loss after giving up 3 runs in 6 innings. He only walked 1…The Hot Rods managed just 4 hits.