The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Wade Davis. Well, more specifically, Davis in all innings except the 3rd. In his other 6 innings of work, Davis had five 1-2-3 innings…Ben Zobrist. Zorilla is quietly have a very good season. After a 2-hit day, his average is still just .259, but he has 9 home runs, a .332 OBP and a .809 OPS. And he is trending upwards. He has 2 hits in 4 of his last 5 games…Kelly Shoppach. As much as we have bashed Shopp (deservedly so), it is only fair we point out his 2-hit game. His first multi-hit game of the year.
THE BAD: But. Davis did struggle in the 3rd and 7th innings. Both of those innings he gave the leadoff hitter a free pass (1 hit by pitch, 1 walk). And both of those runners would eventually score...Bullpen. JP Howell and Joel Peralta are supposed to be the cornerstones of a revamped bullpen. But both pitchers continue to struggle. Combined, the two faced 6 batters. Four of those batters reached base. And all 4 would score, with 3 coming on a home run off of Peralta. It was the second straight outing in which Peralta gave up a long ball.
THE TELLING: Evan Longoria did not start after feeling a twinge in his oblique, but did pinch hit in the 8th. His 2-run single gave the Rays the lead. He is expected back in the lineup today.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- The Rule 4 draft begins tonight at 7pm with the first and supplemental rounds. The Rays will have 10 of the 60 picks, with all falling between picks 24 and 60.
- Andrew Friedman on tonight’s draft: “The more arrows you have, the more likely you are to hit the bull’s-eye.” [NY Times]
- John Romano writes about the Bay Area’s “Golden Age” of owners. [TampaBay.com]
- At first, we wondered how this got past quality control. But let’s face it, there are probably more than a few fans that would wear this hat. [Twitter]
- Nice outfit David Price. [The Heater]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM 5, Pawtucket 4: Alex Torres once again struggled with his control walking 6 with just 2 Ks in 4.2 innings. He allowed 4 runs (3 earned). He has now walked at least 5 in 3 of his last 5 starts…Jake McGee struck out 2 and walked 1 in 2 scoreless innings…Ryan Reid was back in the bullpen, striking out 2, but walking 3 in 1.2 shutout innings…CF Desmond Jennings was 2-4 with a double and his 9th home run…RF Brandon Guyer went 1-4 with a double and his 9th stolen base…LF Chris Carter hit his 8th home run…C Robinson Chirinos was 0-3 with a walk.
- Mississippi 3, MONTGOMERY 2: After tying the game with a Stephen Vogt RBI-single in the 8th, the Biscuits gave up the lead in the 9th on a 2-out single off of Frank de los Santos…Matt Moore started, giving up 2 runs in 6 innings on 5 hits and 3 walks. He struck out 5…SS Tim Beckham was 1-4 with a double…RF Kyeong Kang hit his second home run.
- CHARLOTTE 6, Bradenton 1: Alex Colome allowed just 1 run in 6 innings. He struck out 2 and walked 1…SS Hak-Ju Lee was 2-4 with a triple and a stolen base. His .350 average leads the FSL. His 7 triples and 16 steals are both second. His .928 OPS is third.
- BOWLING GREEN 2, Beloit 1: CJ Riefenhauser tossed 7 shutout innings, striking out 6 and walking just 1. His ERA is now 2.45…3B Julio Cedeno went 2-4 with a game-tying home run in the 9th…The Hot Rods won the game in the 10th on a Todd Wunderlich RBI-single…SS Derek Dietrich did not play.