The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: John Jaso. He had 2 hits. That’s it.
THE BAD: Tip The Cap. Zack Greinke entered the game with a 5.23 ERA, but he has not been a 5.23 ERA pitcher. In fact, he might be the unluckiest pitcher we have ever seen. His K-BB ratio is over 7 (3 is good) and he has pitched more like a pitcher with a 2.50 ERA. In the end, you just tip your cap and be grateful that the Rays actually got 4 hits…JP Howell. Geez. After we celebrated the return of the Dude we all loved. He goes out and can’t retire any of the 3 batters he faced.
THE TELLING: Johnny Damon started in left field again…Andy Sonnanstine has pitched 1 inning in the last 18 days. During that stretch, he was paid ~$91,000.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Joe Maddon shuffled the rotation again. James Shields will now pitch on Friday, followed by Wade Davis and Jeff Niemann. [MarcTopkin]
- Ken Rosenthal writes about the possibility of trading James Shields. [Fox Sports]
- 2010 first round pick Josh Sale homered in his first pro game yesterday. On a side-note, did you know he is Samoan? Neither did we. [Samoa Observer]
- Here, Josh Sale talks about starting his pro career. [Daily Telegraph]
- Here is Don Zimmer back in 1957. [SI Vault]
- Jeff Passan projects James Shields and Kyle Farnsworth to be named to the AL All-Star squad. [Yahoo! Sports]
- The Orlando Sentinel ran an article on their website yesterday titled “Report: Rays confident they’ll be able to sign top scorer Stamkos.” Oops. It has since been fixed, but you can still see the title in this Google search. [Google]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Buffalo 9, DURHAM 1: Lance Cormier made his first start since 2008, giving up 4 runs (1 earned) in 4 innings…CF Desmond Jennings was 0-4…RF Brandon Guyer had a single in 4 at bats.
- MONTGOMERY: Southern League All-Star Game Matt Moore started for the South Division, but was pounded for 4 runs in less than an inning of work.
- St. Lucie 9, CHARLOTTE 0: Alex Colome was the unfortunate victim of no run support. He gave up 4 runs (3 earned) in 5 innings…The Stone Crabs managed just 1 hit, a single by 3B Matt Hall…SS Hak-Ju Lee was 0-4 and is 0-9 in the last 2 games to drop his average down to .342. That still leads the FSL.
- BOWLING GREEN: Midwest League All-Star Game SS Derek Dietrich started and walked in both plate appearances.
- Staten Island 1, HUDSON VALLEY 0 (12):
- PRINCETON 7, Burlington 5: In his first game as a pro, and more than a year since being drafted, LF Josh Sale homered. He finished 1-3 with a walk…RF Drew Vettleson was 2-4 with a pair of singles.